Talk

Advanced search

removing smell of cigarette smoke?

(14 Posts)
BumbleNova Thu 12-May-16 16:01:38

Hi all

I need advice - I've just moved into my new house and to my disgust, the previous owners clearly smoked in the living room. they obviously stopped prior to viewings, I had no idea this would be an issue.

I've removed the curtains (so gross) but there are no other soft furnishings I can take out. I've had the windows open for three days now but it still stinks! its really bothering me.

there is painted lining paper on the walls and a textured paper ceiling I think. I suspect that there is no plaster under the paper, only plasterboard if its like the rest of the house.

what is the least effort way to remove the smell?? I hadnt planned to redecorate just yet. Shall I just buy some cheap emulsion and paint over what is there?

JT05 Thu 12-May-16 16:20:37

Nicotine sinks into walls and ceilings, the only way is to 'bite the bullet' now and strip out all the wall paper. Paint alone will not mask the smell. Wash all the paintwork with sugar soap and sand well ( wearing a mask) before repainting.

It is better to do this before you settle in, otherwise you will always smell the nicotine, even if it's just your memory playing a trick!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 12-May-16 16:22:48

Be prepared to have to replaster, the smell really sinks in.

Even clean the windows and scrub paintwork as well as stripping back wall paper.

specialsubject Thu 12-May-16 16:30:48

the sugar soap on painted surfaces is the way to go - wallpaper has to be stripped.

it is the messiest job in the world so be prepared!

BumbleNova Thu 12-May-16 16:43:50

damn it - as I feared. well I know what I'm doing next weekend then.

it will definitely need replastering. I dont think it has been plastered, just bare plasterboard which is weird and very pikey of the previous owners.

JT05 Fri 13-May-16 07:50:00

The idea of decorating bare plasterboard, is a bit weird. Plasterboard, itself tends to be soft and easily damaged. Are you sure it's plasterboard and not a composite containing asbestos? This was a popular building material in the 60s and didn't need a top plaster coat.

Sorry if this worries you, but better to be safe. Good luck.

ivykaty44 Fri 13-May-16 07:51:55

Is there a carpet?

I would remove the carpet first before redecorating

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 13-May-16 08:21:10

And the underlay!

BumbleNova Fri 13-May-16 09:49:18

nope no carpet. just painted floorboards.

oh god - how would I check if it contains asbestos?! I peeled off some of the lining paper in the bedroom which was coming away and i could see no plaster but a solid board - maybe a beigy colour?

its an 1890s house and we have spotted lath and plaster over by the bay windows . I think it was rewired in around 2006 so this boarding I think would have been put up then?

I think I am rapidly learning why old houses eat so much money...

murphyslaws Fri 13-May-16 09:53:47

Strip paper off walls.

Gloss paint walls and ceiling. Then emulsion works 100%.

Really works plus if ceilings are stained it covers them .

BumbleNova Fri 13-May-16 10:17:54

sorry murphy being dense - do you mean a layer of gloss paint then a layer of normal emulsion?

murphyslaws Fri 13-May-16 10:23:12

Yes gloss paint everything. 2 coats. Then emulsion with your colour.

So ceilings, woodwork and walls do a coat of gloss paint. Wait let it dry and redo. Then once dry emulsion walls ceilings.

The solvent in gloss plus the film it creates lock in the smell and yellow staining.

It really works

JT05 Fri 13-May-16 12:24:36

If you know a competent builder, they would be able to tell you what the board is. It could be quite a few things.

minatiae Fri 13-May-16 16:51:09

Paint everything (everything -- even the floors if they're wood, and if it's carpet you'll need a new one) with 2 coats of clear shellac.

I had a room that a dog had peed all over including the walls and the shellac got rid of the smell completely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now