Talk

Advanced search

Cost of maintaining Victorian house

(7 Posts)
vEn1 Thu 12-May-16 11:21:39

Hi All,
I am in process of buying 5 bed Victorian house built in 1880 in London. We liked home for obvious reasons like high ceilings, light and space. It looks well maintained and no sign of damp in the rooms. There are few signs of damp in cellar. Could you tell me
How much it cost to maintain this house on regular basis?
Cost of gas / electric bills per month
Cost of roof/ repointing and house often it is required?
Cost of home insurance?
Any other on going cost?

Thanks

puggymummy1 Thu 12-May-16 12:35:26

I have found the costs of maintaining my five bed Victorian home to be very minimal. Bills are about £230 a month and that's over winter and with an Aga. I have the chimneys swept and can't think of anything else.

MrsMarigold Thu 12-May-16 12:45:16

I guess if you are six year maintenance cycle, you need about £400 set aside monthly to keep painting, gardening, cleaning windows, chimneys swept, occasional plumbing, (ours is painted outside and tall and this is factoring in scaffolding when we paint the exterior).

Wombat87 Thu 12-May-16 12:55:12

The roof is likely a one off cost. I've got a Victorian. It doesn't seem to cost anymore than my 1960's house to heat. If anything it feels warmer. Your post makes it seem like you're expecting to be forking out regularly because it's old??

Utilities - cost will depend on your provider and what you do to keep your house warm, floorboards, carpets etc.

Building maintenance - depends on how well it's been looked after by other people really. Mine was a shit tip. But we've restored it and got rid of damp. and it could probably go another 100 years without any interference. Our roof needs doing at some point.

Wombat87 Thu 12-May-16 12:56:25

Your home insurance also depends on your vendor and location. They don't lump all the Victorians in together

JT05 Thu 12-May-16 13:43:51

Buy your self the Haynes Victorian and Edwardian house manual. It from the same people who do the car manuals. It's full of good advice on how to care for your old property. Most Victorian houses were solidly built and with care and careful repair will last.

Our last 1960s house cost a lot when in need of repair because of the poor quality build materials that were originally used.

puggymummy1 Thu 12-May-16 13:45:49

And our bills are high due to two teenage girls who had the heating on all through winter even when they weren't here and constantly extending the hot water even when they don't need to. They're also always putting one item into the washing machine, as you do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now