Talk

Advanced search

'Completion'

(9 Posts)
Dandelionrarrrr Wed 11-May-16 18:06:32

Hi everyone looking for a quick bit of help as our solicitors have been ignoring us all day. We have been told our completion date is on Friday but we have not been given any details of what this means for us. We have sent the money over, we have signed all contracts. Does that mean we just get the keys and all is swell. Is there anything we need to have or be ready with on Friday? I'm a first time buyer incase you couldn't guess. Can't believe how little has been explained to us during the process.

thanks in advance

readingrainbow Wed 11-May-16 18:10:36

First time buyer here, too. We are completing next Friday and the solicitors said they will receive the funds from the lender on Thursday and transfer it to the vendor on Friday. Once it hits their bank account, the EA or possibly the solicitors will be notified and give us a ring. We'll poo round to the agents or possibly the house (but more likely the agents) and collect the keys. Everything that needed to be signed has been done; that's what the exchange is for. Basically next Friday we'll be waiting around for The Call. Eeeep!

Best of luck to you. smile

readingrainbow Wed 11-May-16 18:11:29

POP. No defication involved, gah.

Dandelionrarrrr Wed 11-May-16 18:22:25

Congratulations! It's getting very close and real now.
Nationwide text me today to say the funds will be released on Friday. Is there likely to be enough time for the solicitor to receive it and transfer it by close of business Friday?
Also does my solicitor transfer it straight to the vendor or does it go to the vendors solicitor?

Sorry to bombard you with questions

Ruhrpott Wed 11-May-16 18:22:38

It means you get the keys and the house is legally yours. Normally you will get a call from your solicitor or estate agents and you can go and pick up the keys (usually from the estate agents). Make sure you note down the meter readings, set up a post redirect, start paying for your to licence and inform utilities. You can then also move in if you want or go and rip the place apart and start redecorating.

readingrainbow Wed 11-May-16 18:49:34

It might take a few hours - hopefully the funds will be released at 9am on the dot or near enough, and then the process can move forward quickly.

I think you might be right that the money goes through the solicitors rather than direct to the vendor but I'm not sure.

Very exciting! I keep pinching myself and wishing we'd agreed on an earlier completion date because I'm so impatient!!

Dandelionrarrrr Wed 11-May-16 19:17:27

Thankyou thankyou!

It also means I have to get my self organised... To do list is growing !!!

specialsubject Wed 11-May-16 19:42:32

Crap solicitor alert. You don't get told a completion date, you agree one before exchange . your solicitor should double check with you before exchange as that commits you!

You need to insure the house from exchange, arrange post redirect, utilities , broadband.oh, and removals.

Your solicitor should have kept you informed. Have you exchanged?
Phone them at 9am tomorrow and raise hell.

readingrainbow Wed 11-May-16 20:19:16

special makes a couple of good points there. Do clarify things with your solicitor rather than t'internet. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now