Talk

Advanced search

Compact dining table and chairs

(11 Posts)
ThreeBarrels Wed 11-May-16 16:23:15

We have just bought a flat with a reception with open plan kitchen. I have bought a sofa, chair and coffee table and don't want to overcrowd the flat as the recption is not that large. However, we do need some sort of dining table/chairs.

Can anybody please recommend a compact dining table and chairs or one that folds up/folds away etc.

I am also debating whether or not to have a tv and how to use minimal space. I saw on line some feature where you could have a picture or a mirror on the wall to conceal it, but not sure if that's too fiddly. Has anybody tried something similar?

All advice and recommendations gratefully received!

lalalonglegs Wed 11-May-16 16:42:20

I'd wait for the sofa to be delivered and see how much space that reasonable leaves you before shopping for a table. I don't like foldaway tables, they end up being a faff and it is much more useful, in terms of zoning an open plan space, to have something permanent.

My BILs bought a painting that rises out of the way to reveal the wall-mounted TV when they want to watch it - it seems a bit of a fuss and slightly Hyacinth Bucket to cover it up. Just get one whose proportions don't overwhelm the space and it will be fine.

OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 12-May-16 08:27:32

Build a flip down one perhaps ? And have folding chairs kept between back is sofa and wall ?!
http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/make-and-decorate/decorating/build-a-flip-down-kitchen-table

MightyMeerkat Thu 12-May-16 08:34:50

I have a small square table 90 X 90 cm from Next. 4 chairs tuck underneath it and it extends to double its size if required. It doesn't take up much room as I keep it tucked in a corner where it can comfortably seat two and drag it out if I have guests so it can seat four. I like it because it looks like a proper dining table.

HereIAm20 Thu 12-May-16 14:03:45

Saw these at the Ideal Home Show. You could almost have any frame you wanted. You could go ultra modern or very ornate and traditional. Look fab - but cost £1800

www.hiddentelevision.com/samsungledmirrortv.htm

ThreeBarrels Thu 12-May-16 16:45:14

Thank you so much for your replies, some really good ideas here!

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Fri 13-May-16 08:53:55

There is an oval one at John Lewis - sorry can't do links on iPad - seats 4 with 2 fold down leaves. Folds away v small with chairs folding and tucking away underneath. It's in a nice light wood.

SwearyGodmother Fri 13-May-16 09:03:43

When I had a compact flat I had a similar table to Mighty but from IKEA. I think it's the Bjursta one here which seats four even at its smallest but really doesn't take up much space. I had four chairs that tucked under it and a couple of these folding chairs tucked away if I had more guests. It looked smart and not being folded away made sure I sat up to eat every day.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Fri 13-May-16 09:04:09

PS to above - I think it's £120-130. No time to check since due at jury service!

ThreeBarrels Fri 13-May-16 10:44:03

Ooh these ones are both ideal. I think I may need to visit IKEA!

ThreeBarrels Fri 13-May-16 11:12:29

The JL one is a bit smaller and has rave reviews so a definite possibility! Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now