Talk

Advanced search

Bromley - Nice areas for family house

(18 Posts)
Aerie6 Wed 11-May-16 13:16:46

We are currently living just outside London but we are thinking about relocating to Bromley in order to buy our first property (a three bed house). Unfortunately we are not familiar with the area but the commute to Central London looks really good so from a work-life balance point of view looks attractive. What do you think about Bromley as a choice for a place to live?

We are looking for a house in a nice and safe residential area, close to good (& outstanding) primary schools, within 1.2 miles from Bromley South train station, preferably greener area.

Which streets/areas should I be looking after, and which should I avoid?

Many thanks! star

Zhabr Wed 11-May-16 16:47:57

Hi, I used to live not far from Bromley South, though it was a long time ago. I remember that Bickley was a very nice area. May be somebody more knowledgeable will come round soon.

skippy67 Wed 11-May-16 17:20:08

Hayes is lovely. Great schools too.

Notyetthere Wed 11-May-16 17:21:17

You would need to give more information to be able to get more useful information
What's your budget?
Where in Central London do you wish to commute to?
What sort of house are you interested in?

Peyia Wed 11-May-16 18:48:21

What's your budget

This is also my question so that I can justify looking at houses on zoopla

Rahgh Wed 11-May-16 20:11:01

Bromley south is great, great schools. Really up and coming from an already good start point! House prices show that though. No need to avoid any roads in Bromley south but be careful once your radius expands past a mile! we love it!

Aerie6 Wed 11-May-16 21:12:58

Thanks! The budget is up to a max of £550k but we'd rather not go that far. We'd like a 3 bedroom house, semi detached would be nice but not essential. So far, made a note that Bickley and Hayes are nice, thanks! Any other suggestions? X

timmyinatizzy Wed 11-May-16 21:16:44

Bromley South is great if you need connections to Victoria or Blackfriars. However Orpington offers more as trains go into Charing Cross and Cannon Street as well as Victoria and Blackfriars.

dontcallmelen Wed 11-May-16 21:24:33

Hi Op beckenham/Eden park/Elmers end are all good areas with really good transport links/green spaces/shops etc Bickley,Hayes very nice, Bromley common(bit far from stations though) further out you have chiselhurst, petts wood, both really nice places, depends a bit on where you need to travel too.

KP86 Wed 11-May-16 21:29:13

Orpington does have some dodgier areas, towards St Mary's Cray. As is Bromley Common.

Bromley, Bickley, Hayes, Beckenham and West Wickham are all good, but quite expensive, as you'd expect. Lots and lots of nice places in the Palace Road area, behind Bromley North station.

If staying central, try to find somewhere within walking distance of the high street because parking/traffic is a bit of a nightmare.

It's a good place to live, lots of good schools and transport options - you can go from Bromley South direct or Bromley North to Grove Park and change to get to different city stations.

Aerie6 Wed 11-May-16 21:34:16

That's very helpful, many thanks!! X

Rahgh Wed 11-May-16 21:45:46

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-40638108.html
Has an open day Saturday and in good schools catchment, close to station!

dontcallmelen Wed 11-May-16 22:16:22

Agree with pp the crays & some parts of Orpington are bit dodgier, also parking around Bromley north/south stations is awful & lots of restrictions.

Aerie6 Wed 11-May-16 22:21:15

@Rahgh Nice pick, thanks!
Thank you, all for really great advice. X

Aquiver Wed 11-May-16 22:52:37

As PP have said, Bickley, Petts Wood and certain parts of Orpington are great. Chislehurst may be a bit too far for you(?) but it is lovely. As is Keston.

Again, avoid St Mary Cray (be careful when searching for houses in "Petts Wood" that are actually in SMC!) and St Paul's Cray. I'm also not a huge fan of Green Street Green.

Also second Beckenham - fab area, loads of amenities and lots to do, especially for families.

Aquiver Wed 11-May-16 22:59:47

Forgot to add that Sundridge Park is also a nice area.

I believe there is a MN Local forum for Bromley too - might be worth posting there too?

Good luck in the hunt OP! blushsmile

Aerie6 Thu 12-May-16 21:25:20

@Aquiver Many thanks! X

PettsWoodParadise Sat 21-May-16 13:38:11

Another vote for Petts Wood. You also get more London destinations than Bromley South so you can go not only to Victoria and Blackfriars but also Cannon St, London Bridge and Charing Cross. With frequent engineering works at the weekend PW is rarely left with no trains whereas those further up the tracks are they don't have so many options. I love the choice of shops, restaurants and parks. They have tennis for free courts at the Willet Rec, lots of groups like Petts Wood runners and events like Petts Woodstock each August and the May Fayre help add to the community feel. As others have said be careful of some areas describing itself as Petts Wood when it isn't. A three bed semi will cost between £500k and £570k.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now