Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about Jack-and-Jill bathrooms!

(8 Posts)
FetchezLaVache Tue 10-May-16 23:25:29

Hi all, would greatly appreciate a bit of advice! DP and I are looking at buying a two-bed terrace, but it has a downstairs bathroom with no obvious way of moving it upstairs other than a Jack-and-Jill bathroom. The two bedrooms are pretty big and there's a chimney breast we could knock out, so we could probably do it so that the bedroom we'd pinch the space from would still (just about) be a double. Are they a complete arse-pain to do? Also, I'm a bit concerned about resale value- is a J-and-J bathroom more or less offputting than a downstairs one, in your opinions? Would a better option be to make the walk-in cupboard into an en-suite loo and just put up with having the bathroom downstairs?

willfuckformichilenstarfood Tue 10-May-16 23:40:24

I think if you had both that would not put me off, I would not get rid of the downstairs bathroom though X

donajimena Tue 10-May-16 23:48:14

Having lived with a downstairs bathroom an upstairs loo.. just a loo.. would be manna from heaven..

SnuffleGruntSnorter Tue 10-May-16 23:52:07

I agree, fine if you keep the downstairs bathroom

IPityThePontipines Wed 11-May-16 00:02:31

Have a look at the houses in the area. If most of those have downstairs bathrooms, then a bathroom upstairs won't do much for your resale value, as people are clearly happy to buy and sell without one.

Whereas if most people have some form of upstairs bathroom, then you know you need to get one so that your house can compete on the market.

However, from what you've told me, I would just put in an upstairs toilet. Space is very important in a two bed, so there's no point losing any for a second bathroom.

Downstairs bathrooms are very underrated, especially if you have young children. I'll miss ours when we move.

Catsgowoof Wed 11-May-16 07:00:03

For me, upstairs bathroom and turn downstairs bathroom into toilet and utility. Wouldn't want just J+J bathroom as people would have to go through bedroom to use toilet.

FetchezLaVache Wed 11-May-16 07:30:00

Thanks for all the comments! You have definitely made up my mind not to bother with the J+J, particularly the suggestions of keeping the downstairs bathroom too. We had been thinking about knocking down the extension off the back that houses the current bathroom, to make the tiny yard a bit bigger, but I have always been a bit uneasy about making such a big project out of what is already a perfectly liveable house, when it's not clear how much value it would add.

IPTP Good point you make- loads of houses round here have a downstairs bathroom. I have one atm and it doesn't bother me in the slightest, but I know a lot of people don't like them, including DP!

SquinkiesRule Wed 11-May-16 09:58:28

I'd keep the downstairs bathroom and give yourself a little en suite shower room.
Thats what have. I love my own little shower room. The kids don't mind the trek down and Dd uses our shower before bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now