Advanced search

still no mortgage offer

(15 Posts)
ftb882 Tue 10-May-16 15:50:53

Hi all , i wonder if you could give me some advice if this timeline is normal for getting the mortgage offer from halifax
Our timeline is as follows :

Offer accepted 18/04/2016
Solicitors instructed 19/04/2016
Bank appoitment to make the formal application (already had aip) 20/04/2016
Survey results back 29/04/2016 valued at same price as the offer we made
Mortgage advisor went on holiday since then and we have no official mortgage offer yet .
Is that normal ? I am getting a bit anxious that is raking so long as i ve heard halifax are pretty quick.

I believe our application is straight forward we checked our credit score with experian both of us have excellent as a score we also have a credit search done on the 20th from halifax which means they alredy cheched that. Have no previous defaults etc no depantanta and both on permament jobs the mortgage payment would be less that 1/3 of our montly income after tax . We have no other montly debt payments
Have you used halifax before ? How long did it take to gwt the official offer ?

wowfudge Tue 10-May-16 17:15:13

Am I reading this correctly: you haven't heard anything because the mortgage advisor is on holiday? Is that an independent mortgage advisor or someone working for the Halifax? Can you speak to one of their colleagues and find out, rather than being in limbo?

ftb882 Tue 10-May-16 18:13:17

I have called and some one called me back asking me where we are in the process if they have taken our payslips etc so obviously he couldnt see in their system or somewhere where we are . I explained and he told me our mortgage advisor will be back tomorrow and is a matter of sending over our application to the "headquarters" and doing some "administration" on our case . He we should have an answer by the end of the week
I ve lost my confidence now as it seems very unprofessional that we are just depending on one person ?
Am i being overly impatient here ?

ftb882 Tue 10-May-16 18:15:01

I forgot to reply to one of tour question wow is directly with halifax

Pufflemum Tue 10-May-16 18:16:50

I'm in the same situation. Offer accepted 12/04 mortgage application done on 15 April. Still no offer. I'm hoping no news is good news. We have had to submit extra evidence of our deposit and have been asked to pay for the valuation. Can't imagine why it takes so long. It's very frustrating but as we have agreed a date with the vendor of the end of July not critical, just nail biting.

Racheyg Tue 10-May-16 18:26:59

Hi op,
I got my mortgage with Halifax through a independent advisor and there was a slight wait in between while the solicitors got all documentation together. You should receive a letter confirming thou.

All our solicitor doings were via a website where we uploaded all relevant information, which was easy and quick.

I think from offering being accepted to moving in was 3 months which I'm told is quick, but felt like ages.

Maybe call them tomorrow?

ftb882 Tue 10-May-16 18:27:45

Hi puffen is so frustrating ! I will call her again when she comes back tomorrow to hopefully undestand a bit more of what is going on .
We just want to know so we can give iur two months notice for leaving oir current flat the ea are on oir case for extending our tennancy aggreement

wowfudge Tue 10-May-16 18:28:33

I've had two mortgages with the Halifax in the past - both through brokers rather than direct. I don't remember waiting a long time to hear back. It sounds as though they just aren't very efficient rather than there is an a problem though.

ftb882 Tue 10-May-16 18:29:40

Yes i think is a problem of efficiency !
Puffen have tou heard about the survey ? Did it come back ?

readingrainbow Tue 10-May-16 18:30:55

It took us two months. They nitpicked every little thing, but my broker was a dog with a bone and wouldn't let it rest. We made the offer in late January and get the keys next Friday. Ugh!

I do think our experience is an outlier, however.

wowfudge Tue 10-May-16 18:36:41

About the EA - just refuse to sign a new tenancy agreement and let your tenancy become a statutory periodic tenancy (this happens automatically, no need to sign anything). You don't want to give notice until you've exchanged contracts really so make sure your solicitor knows you want sufficient time between exchange and completion.

Even if your refusal to sign a new tenancy agreement prompts the landlord to issue a s21 notice, you don't have to be out by the expiry of the two months. The landlord would have to start eviction proceedings if you don't agree to leave then.

I'd stall speaking to the agent until you know you have your mortgage offer if at all possible though.

ftb882 Tue 10-May-16 18:43:27

Thats what i have been doing wow i havent been answering her calls or emails she knows we are buying and dont want to sign a new contract to my mind of the landlord want to he can give us a notice but he havent yet . I would need to have the offer before giving them notice !

Pufflemum Tue 10-May-16 20:50:27

We haven't received the survey yet only a voicemail from the surveyor saying no deal breakers. This was an independent survey. Have heard nothing about the mortgage valuation other than paying the fee.

We have actually given notice on our current rental. It's a risk but as it will be summer holidays we can go and stay with family if things are delayed. We have committed to the children's new schools ( moving to new area) so we have to move this summer whether it's this house or another rental. It's going to be a loooong eight weeks.

Hope you hear soon FTB.

ftb882 Wed 11-May-16 06:47:06

Thank you puff you too! Hopefully i ll call her today that she is back to get a better idea of whats going on

ftb882 Fri 13-May-16 11:11:57

Hi all just an update our offer was issued today smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now