Talk

Advanced search

Quiet appliances

(5 Posts)
carolyn12345 Sun 08-May-16 12:56:03

We are creating an open plan kitchen/living/dining room. I won't have a separate utility room, so I am looking for super quiet appliances- washing machine (large load essential!) tumble dryer and dishwasher. Any recommendations would be gratefully received. Many thanks

PigletJohn Sun 08-May-16 13:27:31

I get Bosch and Siemens. They last a long time, but I notice that every time I buy a new one, it is quieter than the one I had before.

I just had a look at the products website and although it says things like "whisper-quiet" and talks about new quieter motor design, I can find no objective sound measurement in db.

I'd suggest you browse the which reports, and look at the noise ratings only after you have narrowed down to a small number of choices. You can browse them free in your local library, or sign up online and get a free trial period, or ask here for particular models. Don't get appliances from kitchen fitting companies as they are rebranded and overpriced.

They are always quieter once they are pushed under the worktop and surrounded by other units. It is possible to muffle the noise a little more by gluing carpet to the adjacent sides, but you would need enough of a gap to fit in and ventilate heat out.

Also I suppose try to put the washer and drier furthest from the sitting area. Adjust the feet especially on the washer so there is no rock or wobble.

PigletJohn Sun 08-May-16 13:31:56

ooops, found one

www.siemens-home.co.uk/productlist/dishwashing/full-size-dishwashers/SN278I26TE?breadcrumb=fullsizefreestandingdishwashers#/tab=section-technicalspecs

under product details, performance

"Noise level dB (A) re 1pW: 42 dB"

but you will have to look at others to compare

This is an IQ700 which is quite expensive.

snowspider Sun 08-May-16 13:43:06

My tip would be to also consider how long the cycles are as the time to wash/dry can be radically different from machine to machine and you may wish to consider the trade off between noise and time taken.

nemno Sun 08-May-16 14:15:38

On the John Lewis website appliances that they sell often have the db noise levels listed eg. www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-jldws1209-freestanding-dishwasher-stainless-steel/p1913385 and www.johnlewis.com/aeg-f66609m0p-freestanding-dishwasher-stainless-steel/p1631343

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now