Advanced search

Question about electrics in a rental property

(3 Posts)
Terriblemum2016 Sat 07-May-16 17:11:19

Apologies if this is in the wrong section or if I don't make much sense, I'm clueless with these things.

I've just moved into a rented house and my dad has discovers today that it's got an old style fuse box. So there's no RCD (I think it's called) so the box doesn't trip if something goes wrong.

I'm concerned about this from a safety point of view (feel like an idiot for not knowing about this when viewing). Is this type of box illegal with rental houses? If not, would it be worth me asking to cover the cost of upgrading this myself?

specialsubject Sat 07-May-16 17:22:24

England and wales - no, not illegal. Any more than it is in the house that I live in or the thousands of others that have it. There are some things that are illegal with a fuse box ,such as external sockets.

Upgrading may well involve a full rewire even though the place is adequately safe, because it is not to current standards.. You don't want to pay for that.

Do you have other concerns re the electrics? If so, flag them up.

cestlavielife Sun 08-May-16 21:40:53

It s still fused so fuse will blow if overloaded or something goes wrong.
But more of a pain to replace fuse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now