Advanced search

That funny half height space in the box room where the stairwell cuts into the room?

(13 Posts)
Lelivre Sat 07-May-16 07:54:04

What is it called?

And can we do anything clever with the space?

At the moment it has a half wall (timber, painted) taking it to the ceiling with some nasty cobbled together shelves making a funny cupboard/wardrobe

GingerIvy Sat 07-May-16 08:02:58

Can you post a picture of the room with that part included? Sometimes helps to get an idea what to suggest.

Optimist1 Sat 07-May-16 08:09:39

I think I know what you mean - we didn't add any partition to the ceiling because we thought the tiny room would look even smaller. We got some big storage boxes and put seldom-used items at the back and at the front smaller boxes/bins for things needed more frequently.

TipBoov Sat 07-May-16 08:15:13

its called the bulkhead. You might be able to make a bed over it, depending on how high it is.

Artandco Sat 07-May-16 08:17:15

You can usually make a bed over it. Then add storage under the other half of the bed where there's no bulk head

TurnOffTheTv Sat 07-May-16 08:17:51

We made a bed over it

namechangedtoday15 Sat 07-May-16 09:31:40

Yes its called a bulk head. All the houses on our road have one. Some have used the space above it as a wardrobe and had doors for the full height (so the bulkhead is kind of in the wardrobe). This is what we've done. We have a high sleeper which my H customised. Effectively he chopped off the legs at one end so it sits on the bulkhead (it's all reinforced / attached to the wall). He then made a desk over the top of the bulkhead (it's bigger than it looks on the photo and the TV isn't normally there). Works really well.

Apologies for the mess. DS is 11 confused

superwormissuperstrong Sat 07-May-16 09:34:20

we put fitted wardrobes there - they concealed the bulkhead and used it for hanging space, with some cupboards above that up to the ceiling

LetThereBeCupcakes Sat 07-May-16 09:37:18

What do you use the room for? I'd it's a bedroom, either see if you can get a bed or wardrobe built over it, as others have said. If it's a study, maybe really decent storage? I used ours as a sewing table when we had one.

RandomMess Sat 07-May-16 09:38:51

Ours was a decent single so it was a wardrobe, but if you can't get a bed along that length of wall definitely best use is as part of the bed platform.

Believeitornot Sat 07-May-16 22:09:09

We've got one - a stair bulkhead. If you type that in to Pinterest you get some good ideas.

We've moved into a house with one and the previous owners put a slab of MDF over it making it into a desk.... I have seen some nice ideas for cabin beds and chest of drawers on Pinterest.

Cressandra Sat 07-May-16 22:51:05

Our neighbours built a bed over theirs. We bought a flat pack wardrobe with drawers at the bottom, and hacked it. The drawers in the cheaper ones often don't go all the way to the back of the wardrobe anyway. We just had to hack one side panel and the bottom drawer, and fix it well to the wall.

Lelivre Thu 12-May-16 09:00:34

Thanks for each and every reply. The room is stacked up as we are getting ready for new upstairs carpet or I would have posted a picture.

The bulkhead goes halfway into the room and then there is an approximate 800-900 gap and a window which is facing the side of the bulkhead. However I notice the window ledge is a little above the top of the bulkhead so perhaps continuing it for a desk or bed base is possible.

Your replies have given me many more options than I imagined I had for this room. Many thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now