Talk

Advanced search

Does anybody know about blocking up doorways?! Has our builder done this right?

(5 Posts)
lelf79 Fri 06-May-16 22:53:41

We've just had the builders in to block up an external back door as we only ever use the doors to the conservatory to go out. They haven't done it in breeze block though just plasterboarded over it on the inside (with the pvc glass door on outside still in place) and the bricklayer is coming tomorrow to actually remove the back door and match the brickwork on the outside. I'm starting to freak out now that he has done a botch job confused

Is this normal? Or should he have used a breeze block on the inside to match the existing inside walls?

whatdoIget Fri 06-May-16 22:56:27

All I know about bricked up doorways is that they are the reason ghosts walk through walls

lelf79 Fri 06-May-16 23:02:26

that's something else i need to worry about now hmm

Catsgowoof Sat 07-May-16 06:13:44

Structurally it's fine 'cos here's a lintel above where the door goes holding everything up. Is he putting some kind of insulation in? Keep the ghostly chills out

FishWithABicycle Sat 07-May-16 06:55:24

No problem from a structure point of view but like catsgo says it is important to have a similar level of insulation in the new bit of wall. If you don't, then that one patch of wall will be colder than the rest of the walls and will attract condensation, and you'll have some big patches of black mold growing there within 2 years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now