creating a window seat in a shallow alcove ... how's it done?

(5 Posts)
runningLou Tue 03-May-16 22:34:12

We are getting our kitchen redone and will be getting a new back door so have decided to get rid of French windows in existing dining room, which we never use. New kitchen will become a kitchen-diner and dining room will become back sitting room ... I would like to replace French windows with a window the same width and create a window seat underneath. The window alcove is only about 20cm deep currently, so too shallow for a window seat.
Is the easiest way to do this to build fitted cupboards / bookshelves on each side to deepen the alcove and then put continuous skirting round the bottom?? Would a carpenter be the person to do this?

lalalonglegs Wed 04-May-16 08:49:08

I'd have some low storage fitted into the alcove - slightly petruding but not very much as seats don't have to be very deep - and make that the seat. Yes to fitting skirting around it at the bottom.

runningLou Wed 04-May-16 09:58:52

Yes that's what I was thinking, a storage bench seat about 50cm deep ... I just think the sides might need to be deeper as well? Could possibly create the same effect with a storage bench and two bookcases without having it built in (cheaper option)?

lalalonglegs Wed 04-May-16 13:50:53

A dining chair seat is generally about 30-35cm deep so I wouldn't make a window seat much deeper. If you do, it won't be comfortable as your back won't be able to rest against the windows easily.

runningLou Wed 04-May-16 14:44:27

I wasn't thinking of resting back against the window, but against the sides ... this is why I'm trying to find a way to make the alcove deeper, like with bookcases (as in pic), as it's only 20cm deep at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now