Talk

Advanced search

Pesky seagulls

(9 Posts)
mckenzie Tue 03-May-16 19:32:25

thankfully I love my job as today I got asked to take on a rather strange project smile.

At work, we have a seagull issue. As I work for a car dealership, you can perhaps imagine the extra work this causes for staff and the number of disgruntled customers we have when their new car has been covered in seagull poop within 30 seconds of coming out of the showroom.

Has anyone had any success with any of the various options being offered to keep the seagulls at bay?

TIA

SquinkiesRule Tue 03-May-16 20:57:53

Pesky is an understatement.
We have two people on the roads either side of us who insist on feeding the darn seagulls. So they nest all over the neighborhood, near the food.
See if you can spot where they are feeding for free and get them to stop, man behind us feeding is a nut who I'm not getting into anything with it cuts the numbers but they don't disappear. We can see the sea so they will be here no matter what.
I hope you can find a solution, no fun having to re wash cars, or in my case, the laundry that I put out on the line.

mckenzie Wed 04-May-16 13:41:54

Thanks Squinkiesrule. I've not been personally affected (yet) by the seagulls as I park off site but I feel your pain as a bird has this morning pooped on my washing line!
We do have a food bank on the same estate as the dealership so I'll see what there waste set up is like.

mckenzie Wed 04-May-16 13:42:20

Or even 'their' waste blush

SilverHawk Wed 04-May-16 21:03:42

Try a hawk bird scarer kite. www.gullstop.co.uk/hawk_kite_bird_scarer_complete_kit.asp I have seen quite a few nearby and they seem to work much better than stationary plastic birds of prey. Cheaper versions on Amazon/Ebay.
It sounds as if your problem is flying seagulls as opposed to nesting on your building. If you have them on your roof you can use spikes or nets.

mckenzie Wed 04-May-16 21:46:52

Thanks silver hawk. I'll take a look.

SilverHawk Thu 05-May-16 20:33:03

Do give an update, whatever you do, seagulls are not popular round here either.
Many heads are better than one, as the saying goes.

DustyBustle Thu 05-May-16 20:40:42

I live near the coast and the car dealerships around here all have those hawk kite things, and I've noticed they replace them when they get tatty or break so imagine they must be working.

mckenzie Fri 06-May-16 09:49:43

Thank you Dusty. That's what is being suggested by our site agents. I think that will be the way to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now