Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Valspar Paint Sucks!

(15 Posts)
Cameonose Tue 03-May-16 08:56:16

I need to vent somewhere.
Two weeks ago I walked into B&Q to buy Dulux paint to paint our new home - as per my painter's instructions. The salesman told me that the Valspar paint was a far superior product and that the bonus was that it is marginally cheaper.
I wasn't convinced and was leaning towards buying the Dulux... until I saw the signs at the Valspar paint area with Mumsnet all over it.
That pushed me over and so I bought the Valspar paint.
Two weeks later... we have painted the house.
I made a chicken soup in the kitchen and guess what?
My newly painted wall (Valspar Kitchen and Bathroom) has bubbled and melted in places near the stove.
To say I am horrified is an understatement.
All the walls have needed an extra coat of paint.
All window and door frames have needed at least two coats more than usual.
I've used two highly recommended painters and both have separately said this is not a good product.
So I'm just wondering how a great group like Mumsnet can let their name be plastered all over a product which is definitely not up to scratch?
It's not Mumsnet's fault I bought a poor paint but the endorsement certainly helped sway my choice.
The end result is we will have to repaint our home in a year or two instead of five years.
This was a very expensive mistake.
To anyone out there about to buy Valspar... Don't!

RhombusRiley Tue 03-May-16 09:00:00

I used it to match the wall colour in DS's room so I could repaint some areas without repainting the whole thing.

Terrible, terrible disastrous match! It was nothing like it. I painted it on, thinking it would dry to the right colour, but it really didn't.

Have now repainted the whole room in Dulux (a different colour!)

Allbymyselfagain Tue 03-May-16 18:26:05

I've just used valspar in the kitchen and it's lovely! Two coats perfect coverage, dried quickly and looks great.

Boleh Tue 03-May-16 18:40:52

Our decorator told me Dulux or Valspar premium but don't touch B&Q basic own brand. I bought basic ceiling paint thinking it wouldn't matter - he went over it with his own! He seemed perfectly happy with the Valspar though so we'll see how it lasts.
Have you taken photos and been in to the paint department where you bought it to show it too them? It does sound very odd. Given that it's a new house was there any issue with the paint around that area previously or was there a splash back or something that's been removed. If it is just because the paint is rubbish and previously paint was fine is expect at the very least a humble apology and refund for the kitchen paint!

JanetK1 Sat 21-Jan-17 15:16:19

Agree with the previous post DO NOT USE VALSPAR PAINT. I had 3 different colours mixed and it has caused thousands of pounds to repair the damage caused. All the coloured paint, peeled, cracked, blistered, flaked, bubbled, and general was shocking coverage and finish. I could just wipe some off in places. The decorating firm I used had never seen anything like it in 25 years of work. I am currently in the process of seeking legal advice. The cost of labour to repair the walls for new product and application is extreme. Avoid VALSPAR ! It was a shocking end to a big rennovation , I am so angry and distraught with the response by BQ and Valspar.

ExcuseMyEyebrows Sat 21-Jan-17 15:26:41

I think it's paint in general now rather than a particular brand.

I used Dulux for stairs and landing and a bedroom. Both professionally done and the paint has cracked in places and marks really easily. My house has a condensation problem and the water has marked the affected walls, I've never seen anything like it. Not at all as good as vinyl paint years ago, it was indestructible!

NotStoppedAllDay Sat 21-Jan-17 15:42:48

The mumsnet 'endorsed' paint was the premium only. They tested the gold tins. Premium

NotStoppedAllDay Sat 21-Jan-17 15:43:43

And blame the EU regs for the changes to paint production..... all paint legally will be water based only very soon

halfdoneharris Sat 21-Jan-17 21:43:42

I agree, it's totally shit. Watery and thin which requires SO MANY coats. We normally buy farrow and ball or little greene but we needed a colour match and B&Q was shutting soni didn't think too much about it. My DH has been grumbling all weekend at how long he had spent painting a feature wall! The other walls we repainted with Dulux as the coats were getting crazy and it was so patchy!

lloydlf76 Sat 21-Jan-17 21:53:02

I've just painted my hall with dulux endurance+ and I'm really impressed. Great coverage, nice Matt finish and totally wipeable.

booksandchoc Sat 21-Jan-17 21:57:15

Standard valspar is rubbish, the premium is a great product.

amistillsexy Sat 21-Jan-17 21:59:14

We've used the premium Valspar in our di inv too and study and it was beautiful. Great coverge and lovely depth of colour. Tried to save money when we did DSs bedoom and bought the cheaper Xalspar. It was total shit. We were matching the original colour, yet 3 coats later it still looks streaky. DH said it was really hard work to use as well. The expensive Valspar is definately worth the extra cash.

halfdoneharris Sat 21-Jan-17 22:03:58

I didn't even see the premium range as I would definitely have chosen that! Do they do the premium in the colour mix version?

BellonaBelladonna Sat 21-Jan-17 22:06:51

Agree. I bought valspar for one wall. It was awful paint.
Bought dulux or farrow and ball after that.

mirokarikovo Sat 21-Jan-17 22:15:39

I have valspar premium and have had no problems with it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now