Talk

Advanced search

So, what's the verdict on your high gloss kitchen?

(29 Posts)
sluj Sun 01-May-16 18:44:57

Looking for some user feedback please.

Would you have it again?
Does it scratch easily?
Is it a no-no with cats?
And finally do you think it will date quickly?

I love the look but I'm cautious for all the reasons stated above. This kitchen needs to last me a long time

Thank you

TennesseeMountainPointOfView Sun 01-May-16 18:50:29

Mine's 4 years old. It hasn't scratched at all (but there are no animals in the house), but I only ever clean it with a microfibre cloth - and I don't do that as often as I probably should.

My only complaint is that the wrap on the built-in dishwasher door is starting to shrink a little around the top.

BananaPie Sun 01-May-16 19:07:31

I wouldn't do it. I think you'd be forever wiping sticky finger marks off it. I also think they will date.

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Sun 01-May-16 19:19:24

Any kitchen you get will date. My mum's had a high gloss kitchen since 1990, which has dated but only because of the door style, not the gloss finish. People have been saying they'll date quickly about gloss kitchens since gloss kitchens were first a thing.

There's no problem with cats.

We've had no problem with scratching (neither has my mum in the last 26 years). We just clean ours with a little kitchen sponge and it's fine, Ours is white gloss and remarkably easy to keep clean. Sticky finger marks really don't show up very well on it.

TremoloGreen Sun 01-May-16 19:21:51

I think they're already dated confused

Had one in our old house (not chosen by us). Hated it, not least for the constant wiping of fingerprints.

MiaowTheCat Sun 01-May-16 19:31:45

Love mine - it was absolutely a "do not want" when I started kitchen shopping but I fell for the one I got because it just looked so different (it's white gloss but has a grey woodgrain effect through it and it just looks really really striking). I've got two preschoolers and actually the only bits that get fingerprinty are the fridge doors, the handles, and around the buttons on the microwave - the actual kitchen doors aren't the problem I thought they'd be and because it's flat fronted and doesn't have all the little inlay detailing of the shaker style ones I originally thought I wanted it's really quick and easy to clean (granted our kitchen's tiny but it's like a 30 minute job to do all the surfaces and cupboard fronts and then just buff up the shiny bits with a microfibre cloth).

The amount of light it's brought into what was quite a shitty dingy little place is amazing - we took a wall out at the same time and it's brightened up the entire back of house.

I worried about it dating but then I figured fuck it - all the kitchen designs are going to date, and rather than worrying about the future I'd go for the kitchen I wanted for the now and enjoy it. It's white with black appliances and worktops so it's pretty much a blank canvas in terms of just changing the style of accessories and accent colours and repainting the walls to freshen it up anyway.

I have a large dog and two preschoolers and the world's most careless husband if that helps you calculate durability!

PolkaHeart Sun 01-May-16 19:47:49

We have a black gloss kitchen - didn't pick it, was there when we moved in 2yrs ago.

At first I loved it, but as soon as DS came along, I realised how impractical it is! I'm forever wiping sticky marks/finger prints off, dog nose prints and DH seems not realise the cupboards have handles for a reason!! Besides the constant cleaning, it is very durable. DS (18 months) is always banging toys into it/beakers at it and its not chipped/marked.

If I had the choice (and money), I'd replace it with simply white cupboards

AnneEyhtMeyer Sun 01-May-16 19:55:14

We have cream gloss and I love it. It makes a huge difference to the light in what used to be a very dingy room.

We don't find fingermarks an issue at all.

Agree with stepaway that all kitchens will date. I think granite / composite worktops are much more dated already.

NeatandTidyTidyandNeat Sun 01-May-16 19:56:01

White gloss here, 6 years since installed and no scratches. Fingerprints don't show particularly - I notice them on the free-standing fridge far quicker than I do on the cupboards, and very quick to wipe clean anyway. I would choose the same again if I were choosing now; it's simple, stays clean-looking, and makes the room feel lighter.

Salene Sun 01-May-16 19:56:40

I don't have one but my friends does and regrets it with children

Always trying to clean finger prints off it

Smidge001 Sun 01-May-16 19:59:25

I don't think the gloss makes a kitchen date. My parents had a deep burgundy red gloss kitchen in about 1978 which lasted until around 2000 when they replaced it with... A slightly pinker deep red kitchen grin. In 2004 I bought a beautiful Ivory /cream gloss kitchen with fab curves and I still absolutely love it. No scratches or finger print issues at all. However, recently on the cupboards directly under my kitchen's sloped glass roof, the gloss vaneer(?) has come unstuck from the doors. V upset about that but I think it's only because they've been in direct sunlight for 10 years. I plan to replace the affected doors and keep the kitchen for at least another 10 years.

If anything dates in a kitchen I'd say it would be the worksurfaces and possibly door handles - both of which could be changed independently of the cabinets.

Smidge001 Sun 01-May-16 20:01:47

Having read other posts too I reckon light coloured gloss doesn't show finger prints, but black does.

I agree with other posters that the light gloss really brightens up the kitchen.

MewlingQuim Sun 01-May-16 20:01:55

I have white gloss. Its quite new so time will tell how it lasts, but so far so good.

My previous kitchen was matt white and I wanted to keep it a light colour and easy to clean again, which it is. I have a preschooler and haven't had any major problems with fingerprints, though perhaps I am a slattern by MN standards wink

As miaow said it really makes the space lighter and also seem bigger because of the reflection. My kitchen is tiny and this has been a real bonus.

No idea about cats, I have a dog. No noseprints, but she has been startled by her reflection grin

Hulababy Sun 01-May-16 20:03:47

Would you have it again?

Got mine a year ago; love it so yes.

Does it scratch easily?

No scratches or marks on it at all. Also not found it hard to keep clean or anything. No worse than our old kitchen.

Is it a no-no with cats?

No idea; no cats here.

And finally do you think it will date quickly?

No more than any other kitchen. Fashions come and go, everything will date eventually.

Salene Sun 01-May-16 20:11:47

It's white gloss my pal has and she moans constantly about the state of it with prints.

stonecircle Sun 01-May-16 20:50:52

Cream gloss, 2 years old here. Love it, doesn't need much wiping at all and no scratches. Family of 5, 2 dogs and 2 cats.

IsItMeOr Sun 01-May-16 21:00:02

We had high gloss cabinets and granite worktops put in around 12 years ago. We are still very happy with ours.

E-clothes make cleaning easy.

The doors are chipped in a couple of places - where sharp metal things were banged into them - otherwise fine.

Can't see us replacing ours for at least another decade. If you have no plans to move in the next 5 years, I would just choose what you love.

OnTique Sun 01-May-16 21:01:19

Had a white gloss kitchen for years in previous house and it always looked good. Have a cream one now, also very pleased with it. I don't find that it shows up marks. If anything, it still looks good even when I know it needs a clean.

We have two cats, they've never been a problem.

If you get one Vuplex is the thing to polish it with. Also a very soft microfibre cloth. It doesn't scratch easily as long as you use the correct cloth. Don't use tea towels or kitchen paper to polish it.

Not sure about looking dated,, they've been around for ages anyway and continue to be one of many types available.

SellFridges Sun 01-May-16 21:04:11

White gloss here. It's been in 5.5 years and we have no problem with fingernails despite the arrival of two children since it was installed. It's IKEA and I would definitely have it again.

GreyBird84 Sun 01-May-16 22:32:14

Miaow I'd love to see a picture of your cabinets if you wouldn't mind sharing?

IsItMeOr Sun 01-May-16 22:56:53

I also wonder if kitchen trends don't change as fast as the magazines etc might suggest, as I was concerned 12 years ago that Shaker had been around for a long time and might be on the way out...and it still seems to be going strong.

traceyed1 Mon 02-May-16 06:23:34

I have ordered a grey high gloss kitchen from ikea am hoping it doesn't date too quickly but I like it and wanted something a bit different from the white I had originally wanted.

cece Mon 02-May-16 06:54:29

I have had white gloss since 2006. I would definitely chose gloss again. All kitchens date so get what you like.

No scratches at all.

Very easy to wipe clean - all kitchen doors get grubby after all! However, it is so much easier to keep clean than my previous kitchen. It was shaker style and I hated all the little ledges/ridges that collected dirt/dust.

I have a cat and I have had no issues with cat/kitchen - not sure how a cat would affect kitchen cupboards anyway?

I love mine still, and don't think it looks dated. But hey I like a modern look and think shaker style looks very dated.

cece Mon 02-May-16 06:55:18

I think I have pictures in my profile page

BurningTheToast Mon 02-May-16 07:36:24

Our IKEA white gloss kitchen is about three or four years old now and it's looking good. No scratches or chips and that's with a teenager and ridiculously big dog in the house and I don't find that it gets that many marks on it (although maybe I just have lower housekeeping standards!). We have solid wood worktops and they're more hassle in terms of oiling etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now