Talk

Advanced search

What would you do with this layout?

(9 Posts)
ILikeToClean Fri 29-Apr-16 20:57:00

I have tried to put a floorplan on but can't. So, as you come into our house, on the right hand side the kitchen is at the front of the house, with utility room behind it, then lounge at the back overlooking garden. To the left is the garage (integral), cloakroom, understairs cupboard then at the back (next to lounge) is the dining room, also overlooking garden. We are currently in the process of waiting for planning permission to convert the garage into another room – part study, part teens lounge/chill out room. Would it be better to have the garage as a dining room and the kids lounge in the current dining room? Would it work better as it would be just across from the kitchen but would it be weird having 2 “lounges” next to one another, would it be better to have the extra lounge separate at the front of the house? Or third option (haven’t mentioned this to DH yet!) is to knock the wall down between kitchen and utility and make one large kitchen/diner and then have the garage as part study/part utility and have current dining room as kids lounge? Not sure we could afford that though and whether it would be good practice to lose a utility room! Thoughts?

cittigirl Sat 30-Apr-16 22:24:37

Is the current dining room bigger than the garage? If so, then I'd make that the kids room I think. The idea of knowing through to make a kitchen diner is good but I'm not sure about the study/utility.

cittigirl Sat 30-Apr-16 22:25:35

Knocking through!

Titsywoo Sat 30-Apr-16 22:59:18

Is the dining room big enough to be a lounge? Then you could knock straight through the kitchen lounge and have a massive kitchen/diner/family room with the kitchen part at the back? I'm not keen on having the kitchen at the front of the house but that might just be me. I'd put utility in the garage. Do you need a kids room?

Titsywoo Sat 30-Apr-16 22:59:42

Or convert garage to kids room?

Alasalas2 Sun 01-May-16 04:34:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kitsmummy Sun 01-May-16 06:37:58

Can you hand draw the floor plan and add it that way?

I would definitely prefer a knocked through kitchen diner but if you're able to add a rough sketch it will be easier for people to comment or come up with other ideas

ILikeToClean Mon 02-May-16 22:22:28

Thanks for all your replies - had a bad D & V bug all weekend so only just seen them - sorry.

Dining room is more square, garage when converted will be a longer, thinner room. Hence having sofa, TV etc one end and desk, computer the other.

Titsywoo I would love to make into one big room but alas, not the funds and also our lounge has a gorgeous fireplace so couldn't make that part the kitchen.

I think, having spoken to DH and DDs, they like the dining room at the back overlooking out garden (which is really big and lovely to look out on to) and they don't like the idea of having 2 " lounges" and TV's next to one another, they'd rather be at the front of the house a bit separate ( they're teens!).

I think I just want to change the whole downstairs layout if I'm honest because we moved here 6 months ago and I'm just not as settled as I thought I would be, which is probably a whole other thread! But appreciate your responses, I'll await to see if we get permission and I guess take it from there!

dotdotdotmustdash Mon 02-May-16 22:34:04

I don't have any opinion on your layout, but my MIL converted her integral single garage into an extra room and I think everyone was disappointed by how small it was when it was finished. It was never really big enough for anything other than a study with a bed settee, but if the bed was out there was barely any space to move.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now