where can I find an extra-wide front door?

(5 Posts)
runningLou Fri 29-Apr-16 09:07:34

As part of getting our hallway re-done I would like to replace our internal front door ... when I say internal, we have a double-glazed porch with a PVC outer door (similar arrangement to this pic) so I am looking for a wooden door for the doorway from porch to hallway, if that makes sense. We currently have a set of double glass doors, with a glass panel above. They are ancient and glazed with ugly ridged glass. The space is approx. 2m wide. I would like to replace this with a wide door, with two semi-glazed side panels. When I've been looking all the doors I can find are max 900mm approx. Does anyone know where I can find a wider door?

runningLou Fri 29-Apr-16 12:45:33

After a bit of a search I have an appt with a made to measure door company who are going to come out and quote, but I am assuming bespoke will mean v.v. expensive! Are there any ready-made wider doors?

RandomMess Fri 29-Apr-16 12:52:43

Have you checked on here

www.directdoors.com/

FinallyHere Fri 29-Apr-16 12:54:42

Have a look at solidor.co.uk

Just started to configure ours from their selection, they seem pretty flexible and got a good reference from our (trusted) installer.

PigletJohn Fri 29-Apr-16 16:22:25

Once you go bigger than 3ft wide (900mm) most people would be thinking about double doors.

I used to have a 3ft door, it is pretty big and suits quite a grand house.

The sidelights are usually part of the doorframe, and can be made more or less any size you want. For example my big door had 12" part-glazed sidepanels,

It is much cheaper and easier to have a joiner make up a special build frame, with sidelights, than a special build door.

Having re-read your post and looked at your pic, I think you need a standard door, and a vestibule frame, which can be made from standard mouldings or cut down if yours is a non-standard width.

Something like the picture (which has put itself too high) with sidelights

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now