Advanced search


(7 Posts)
StDogolphin Wed 27-Apr-16 18:04:14

I think there is something wrong with my house, there is a crack from the bottom right to the roof line. Who would I get to survey it so see what needs to be done? I don't want a builder because I wouldn't know if they were making a problem for the work. Would a house survey be suitable, the kind you have when you are buying somewhere?

JT05 Wed 27-Apr-16 18:11:34

I'd get a specialist structural surveyor, then will have the skills to know what is the cause, or what investigations have to be carried out. There could be several reasons and solutions.

Madbengalmum Wed 27-Apr-16 18:15:37

Is the crack through or around the bricks?
Is it inside and out?

Moving15 Wed 27-Apr-16 23:00:06

Your buildings insurance will appoint a structural survey to examine and assess the crack. Call them to start the process.

Moving15 Wed 27-Apr-16 23:00:34


StDogolphin Fri 29-Apr-16 14:16:55

The crack is around the bricks but not inside.

Do you have to go through your insurance then?

Ifailed Fri 29-Apr-16 14:19:35

You don't have to go through your insurance, but isn't that what its for? If you pay your own surveyor and want to claim, the insurance company may well want to use their own and you won't be able to recoup the cost of yours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now