Talk

Advanced search

Thinking of moving to Beeston, Notts

(16 Posts)
PrincessUniKitty Wed 27-Apr-16 17:55:25

I have the opportunity to move here from Camden, London. My partner is from more north of Nottinghamshire, near Bulwell so he will be fine moving. The main reason for moving out of London is the children, the area I live is full of at the risk of sounding stuck up scumbag teenagers. My daughter is 13 and the people she is friends with horrifies me. I certainly don;t want this for my younger children as they go into teenage years.

I think I'd just like some advice before I take the plunge, on the kind of area this is,hopefully from people who live there or nearby. What are the people like? The teenagers? the schools? my 8 year old has a Statement of Education needs as she has a chromosome deletion. I'm aware there is always some mean teens but where I live it seems every single one is the same lol, like factory made clones.

Thanks in advance =]

Badders123 Wed 27-Apr-16 21:20:49

Well I wouldn't recommend beeston!
Try west bridgford?

anotherBadAvatar Thu 28-Apr-16 07:54:25

West bridgford again. I have a toddler, but the schools here are good (one I think was rated ofsted world class). Lovely community feel, park, shops, bars and restaurants.

Plus- my house is going on the market today! Interested?

TheCrumpettyTree Thu 28-Apr-16 19:53:31

Beeston is fine. But nicer is Chilwell, Attenborough, Bramcote and Wollaton. Best school is George Spencer, chilwell comp is also ok. Good primaries around too. Great tram, bus and train links too. West bridgford is nice but expensive. You get more for your money in Chilwell. What's your budget?

ZaraW Fri 29-Apr-16 17:07:10

Personally I think Beeston is nicer than Chilwell and Attenborough. The area around Park Avenue is the nicest area with some really lovely Victorian houses.

We looked at WB but the house we were interested in had flooded and there were no defences in place at the time. It was too risky plus it's expensive you get a lot more for you money in Beeston plus burglary rates are lower in our area.

TipBoov Fri 29-Apr-16 17:16:16

What made you choose Beeston? Then we can help you find some alternatives!

redhat Fri 29-Apr-16 17:18:56

Surely your partner knows the areas. Beeston is very close to Bulwell. You could get from one to the other in ten minutes (don't move to Bulwell BTW).

Fourormore Fri 29-Apr-16 17:18:57

Bingham and surrounding villages are much nicer. West Bridgford is nice too and Cotgrave' reputation is improving.

ZaraW Fri 29-Apr-16 17:27:40

Elm Avenue area is really nice.

TheCrumpettyTree Fri 29-Apr-16 18:47:28

Beeston is nowhere near Bullwell.

nell15 Fri 29-Apr-16 21:40:22

When I work in Nottingham with teachers, social workers and educational psychologists most of them lived in either Beeston, west bridgford or sherwood - not wanting to put you off. All of them are quite buzzing friendly places. Bullwell is in the north of Nottm not near Beeston or WB. Another place popular with young families is Ruddington.

nell15 Sat 30-Apr-16 09:13:50

Just noticed your DD is 13. There's chilwell school, alderman white, bramcote hills fernwood nr Wollaton. Avoid Nottingham city schools.

nell15 Sat 30-Apr-16 09:19:16

Oh and not forgetting George Spencer

DoreenLethal Sat 30-Apr-16 09:19:19

If you think the teenagers are bad in Camden, then please do spend a weekend in Bulwell. You will scuttle home as fast as your legs will carry you and thank your lucky stars you live in Camden.

And if you do decide to move up here, West Bridgeford is probably more akin to Camden than anywhere. But yes, please avoid Nottingham City schools. Frightful.

Kennington Sat 30-Apr-16 09:22:29

Try around grange avenue - beautiful leafy place.
I live there a short time and the university lecturers lived around there.
The town centre is not so great.
Fond memories!

redhat Sat 30-Apr-16 11:02:19

beeston is actually "near" bulwell in terms of how long it would take you to get there (ten minutes around the ring road in the car) but I guess its how you define "near". Its a city. It all merges into one. The areas are all close to one another and you can move from a nice area to a dodgy area just by crossing a road (mapperly park for example). Wollaton is even closer to Bulwell (but nicer than Beeston)

There are lots of nice bits of nottingham (and lots of not so nice bits). I'd suggest you go and have a drive around and check out the schools.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now