Advanced search

Aluminium windows - planning permission

(7 Posts)
FrikkaDilla Tue 26-Apr-16 13:02:17

I've looked through the permitted planning legislation and I can't find the answer.

Our house is not in a conservation area. Do we need planning permission to change white UVPC windows to the same style but coloured aluminium?

lalalonglegs Tue 26-Apr-16 13:05:41

If your house isn't listed and isn't in a conservation area then consent isn't required. To conform to building regulations, the windows have to be double glazed, of course, and the supplier should issue you a FENSA certificate but I can't see you needing any other consents.

FrikkaDilla Tue 26-Apr-16 15:43:38

That's what I thought but the council are telling me I need to apply for permission.

Has anyone ever found anything under permitted development etc that I can show the council bods (they have been known to make mistakes!)

lalalonglegs Tue 26-Apr-16 16:02:57

Well, I suppose they know best. Ask them for the specific planning note that they are basing their request upon and take it from there.

FrikkaDilla Tue 26-Apr-16 16:05:56

oh thanks...will do

OliviaBenson Tue 26-Apr-16 20:57:32

Did they remove permitted development rights when your property was built? Have a look at the original permission.

To be honest, if they say it needs it, they would usually be correct.

Is it a flat?

FrikkaDilla Tue 26-Apr-16 21:56:47

Well they did reply to me but to be honest I'm not convinced yet.

Olivia - no it's a 60s house so no issue there.

This is what the council planner said. (I googled him and on linked in he sounds like a trainee)

"Please see copied the passage from the General Permitted Development Order 2015 which are our guidelines on permitted development anything outside of this would need permission.

Conditions A.3 Development is permitted by Class A subject to the following conditions— (a) the materials used in any exterior work (other than materials used in the construction of a conservatory) must be of a similar appearance to those used in the construction of the exterior of the existing dwellinghouse;

As you described you would be changing the materials of your windows from white UPVC to grey aluminium therefore permission would be required."
However...Class A refers to "Class A – enlargement, improvement or other alterat
ion of a dwellinghouse". We are replacing not any of the above.
I've also just managed to find this on the planning portal website

"You do not usually need to apply for planning permission for:

repairs, maintenance, and minor improvements, such as repainting window and door frames
insertion of new windows and doors that are of a similar appearance to those used in the construction of the house"

The only reason I don't want to go down the planning permission way is that we have a REAL pain in the arse of a neighbour who is going to disrupt whatever we try to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now