Talk

Advanced search

Odd comment from rival estate agent

(35 Posts)
whataclanger Mon 25-Apr-16 18:17:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

slicedfinger Mon 25-Apr-16 18:19:02

What is the turn over like in the street? Lots of short stays may indicate a neighbour issue.

MooPointCowsOpinion Mon 25-Apr-16 18:19:59

very familiar sounds to me like they put the house on the market a lot then pull out of any offers to me.

SoupDragon Mon 25-Apr-16 18:20:32

It is a bit odd but I think I would have to take her advice. I'd probably go and look at the area at many different times of the day/days of the week, I'm not sure I would knock on the neighbour's doors.

Madbengalmum Mon 25-Apr-16 18:23:48

Or she could be a sh*t stirring cow?
I wouldnt put it past some of these agents to be honest. There is one in our area who is quite frankly the least professional individual i have ever had the misfortune of dealing with, and the comment sounds like it could be from her, but not for good will reasons!,

snowspider Mon 25-Apr-16 18:26:01

I would google to see if it had been on with different agents previously, can usually find old details with a bit of sleuthing

MagpieCursedTea Mon 25-Apr-16 18:42:44

She could just be stirring but it's definitely worth some further investigation on your part.

MagpieCursedTea Mon 25-Apr-16 18:42:49

She could just be stirring but it's definitely worth some further investigation on your part.

MagpieCursedTea Mon 25-Apr-16 18:43:37

Sorry for the double post, MN app is quite glitchy tonight!

acatcalledjohn Mon 25-Apr-16 18:54:56

There is a particular house in our town which was for sale with different agents at different times in a short period and was 'sold' numerous times. We can only assume the survey brought up major issues that would prompt any buyer to ask for a reduction. No idea what the score is now, but we had agents telling us the place was notorious.

Then again, could be a shit stirrer desperate for a sale.

Cel982 Mon 25-Apr-16 19:00:32

If she's shit-stirring, it's working, isn't it? wink

She could be genuine, but I think it's very likely she's just trying to make you doubt your decision. However, regardless of what she's said it's always prudent to check out your prospective neighbours. When the house next to us was up for sale we had several potential buyers calling in to 'introduce themselves' but obviously just wanting to see that we weren't students/alcoholics/cannabis farmers.

whataclanger Mon 25-Apr-16 19:18:20

BettySpaghettiHasLostHerHead Mon 25-Apr-16 22:23:14

Our estate agent offered the same advice to a couple who chose another property over ours.

What she didn't tell them outright was there is a very large traveller community in the area (obviously not a problem for some people but a big deal for others) they have chosen and there is 'no way' she would consider living there. She also told us an awful story about a property she had valued in that area - police had to be involved. She was telling us out of interest (we had no direct contact with the buyers so weren't going to pass it on to them) but had only told the other buyers to 'do their research' on the area as she felt it was unprofessional to say more.

I'm just telling you this in case she is not, in fact, just shit stirring and is actually trying to do you a favour.

NewLife4Me Mon 25-Apr-16 22:30:51

I would be over the area like a rash with that warning.
At worst you'll know the area like the back of your hand and be sure what you are getting.
At best the EA is helping you to not make a huge mistake.

Look at any spare land nearby and check planning permission for building.
Check council aren't planning huge muli storey/ equivalent for the area.

NotCitrus Mon 25-Apr-16 22:52:23

Do knock on neighbours doors and chat. DP and I were about to put an offer in on a maisonette when Mrs Neighbour came out and started in on a long rant about everyone in the block, making it clear among other things that she was a bigoted racist obsessive stalker who didn't wash (the smell from her open front door in was grim). After 10 minutes we were both agreed we weren't going to buy the place. We got somewhere across the road and she would shout abuse every time she saw us - so glad we weren't living next door!

In contrast our prospective neighbour in our current house was so warm and lovely she should have been a selling feature. We live in terror of them ever moving!

whataclanger Tue 26-Apr-16 05:39:29

whataclanger Tue 26-Apr-16 05:47:13

DropYourSword Tue 26-Apr-16 06:00:50

Don't let her spoil your joy! You say this house was two streets away from the one she was showing you...I wonder if she would have made the same remarks if you'd gone with the house she's showing. Obviously we don't know the area, but would 2 streets make that much difference?

BettySpaghettiHasLostHerHead Tue 26-Apr-16 06:14:07

The sign sounds very odd. Do you know anyone on the street you could ask?
We've only had bad neighbours once but it was absolutely miserable, made it uncomfortable every time we went home - I would be relieved if their car wasn't there.

lucy101101 Tue 26-Apr-16 06:26:51

It sounds very much like the EA has had some kind of run in with the neighbours with the sign and perhaps there is also a problem with those neighbours and your sellers.

In your situation I would definitely knock at that door and speak with the neighbours. We did this at one house we bought and the woman who answered behaved in quite an odd way.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 26-Apr-16 06:31:40

Sounds like the NDN might be am bit bonkers.....go to the next house along from NDN and ask them. I would door knock for sure.

Fraggled Tue 26-Apr-16 06:35:48

Definitely door knock and report back to us because I'm intrigued now halo

I really hope it's nothing to worry about, if you love the house it's gutting when something to do with the area/neighbours ruins it. Been there and done that a few times.

Fozzleyplum Tue 26-Apr-16 06:40:01

I'd just call the EA back and ask her what she meant.

Waitingfordolly Tue 26-Apr-16 06:44:11

I would knock on doors too, it's possible that the EA is stirring but it would be too big a risk to take for me. I have also had bad neighbours.

eurochick Tue 26-Apr-16 07:02:23

Hmm I'd be very concerned about neighbour issues in light of the combination of the comment and the sign.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now