What can I do with waterproof plywood?

(5 Posts)
Karcheer Sun 24-Apr-16 19:40:13

We are having an extension built and eventually I want to have herringbone wood flooring, but we can't afford this (probably for some while).
The builder has put down waterproof plywood, what can I do with this? to make it look ok, for what will probably be about a year.

Thank you.

wowfudge Sun 24-Apr-16 22:21:00

Put sheet vinyl or a large rug over it. Ply is a good sub floor for vinyl and it doesn't have to be glued down.

Ifailed Mon 25-Apr-16 07:31:22

I'd go for a rug. You can get V cheap large rugs from amazon, such as:
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K2WE7N2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PigletJohn Mon 25-Apr-16 09:16:03

If you want to make it look nice, you can clean it thoroughly (it is porous and will be marked by dirty footprints and spills), sand lightly if needed, dye it with Colron, and apply a few coats of matt or satin Diamond floor varnish. Vac it well to remove dust while working.

The varnish will prevent dirt being absorbed, and make it easier to clean, and shrug off spills. Otherwise it will be blackened with dirt, especially in traffic areas.

With extra effort, you can draw lines on the floor about 100mm apart to simulate planks, and by using several jars of Colron mixed to slightly different colours, and applied alternately or randomly to successive planks, stain it to simulate hardwood flooring. The instructions will tell you to apply the dye with a rag, but for speed you can use a 2" brush, just moistened.

This method will give you more even and realistic appearance than trying to use a tinted varnish or stain, and is easier to touch in scratches or wear.

Karcheer Mon 25-Apr-16 09:51:07

Omg pigletjohn that sounds brilliant thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now