Ground floor single storey back and side extension (L Shape) - How much?

(22 Posts)
Ormsby Sun 24-Apr-16 10:30:17

Hi

I'm in Morden, Surrey and we are contemplating a single storey extension to create a new kitchen/diner/family seating area across the back of the house (open plan) and a bedroom and a shower/WC/utility room on the side. Back extension will be 6m x 4m and the side being 2.10m x 11m. We want a pitched roof with a couple of sky lights at back and a couple on side.

Work needed includes knocking down walls between existing diner and small kitchen and back walls to create open plan kitchen/diner/family seating area. Also knocking down existing back Conservatory. Being end of Terrace we will also need to move two man holes.

Just wanted to get a rough ball park figure which excludes bi-fold doors, kitchen, and materials for shower/WC.

cava83 Sun 24-Apr-16 16:41:12

Hi there, seems like you have similar to what we were contemplating. We have a 3 bedroom semi detached and those measurements are very similar. We got quotes for around 70-100k + VAT ! Ridiculous costs really sadly.

Unfortunately you will find that some builders don't provide you their cost per sq m2, some people will say that you need drawings.

Do you have any rough plans/drawings that have been made?

Unfortunately without plans, the builders won't provide you an accurate quote.

Sounds like a lovely build.

Ragusa Sun 24-Apr-16 18:15:33

We've just had almost exactly what you're describing apart from moving manholes and flat rather than pitched roof. We also had a new lawn including some levelling, and large area of raised decking. We are paying around £95,000. We are very close to you: probably only about 4 or 5 miles away.

Ragusa Sun 24-Apr-16 18:20:50

That includes all windows and twi sets of french doors in powder coated aluminium but no kitchen or bathroom fittings and we bought wood flooring separately.

Ormsby Sun 24-Apr-16 18:47:08

Thanks cava83. We do have drawings which have been done. Did you're quotes include things like bi-fold doors/french doors, kitchen, flooring, WC, etc basically did it include everything?

Ormsby Sun 24-Apr-16 18:50:23

Hi Ragusa - Did the quote include VAT? Also do you think your property will increase in value by at least £95k?

namechangedtoday15 Sun 24-Apr-16 18:52:18

You know that being end of terrace, you may not get planning permission for those dimensions?

whiteagle Sun 24-Apr-16 18:55:30

£1500-£2000 ( high end finsh) m2 plus kitchen costs is a good estimate - so ~£71k - £94k plus kitchen.

We did a much larger extension and came in about the £1500 mark.

Georgina1975 Sun 24-Apr-16 19:02:48

We're doing something similar, but have reduced to 5m x 5m on the back on cost grounds. Build Cost is roughly £49,000. Major costs are the project manager, demolition and removal of existing buildings (mainly an old garage) the roof, glazing and modern white render finish. Kitchen (we've ordered through DIY kitchens) flooring and "bits & bobs" will cost a further £13,000. Architects fees etc... Will come in at £4,000.

So roughly £66,000 inc vat.

Ragusa Sun 24-Apr-16 20:06:28

Yes inc VAT. I think £1500 pm2 is way way too low for our area. Builders are in short supply around here and so you pay a premium. Yes I think we'd make it back plus some, but we don't really plan on moving.

Ragusa Sun 24-Apr-16 20:08:22

IME, greater london costs are miles away from rest of country. My parents live up north and their build cost much, much less.

namechangedtoday15 Sun 24-Apr-16 20:31:02

Ragusa don't think there's a massive difference, £95 Inc VAT given that it includes some doors etc and you've said is a similar size to the OP isnt too far off our cost (in the NW) - ours is working out about £1600 / sq m plus VAT for a basic build.

Kitchen, bathroom, flooring etc on top of that. If we want builders to tile bathrooms / fit kitchen that's an additional cost too.

Our builder (recommended) has been "booked" for best part of a year.

Ragusa Sun 24-Apr-16 22:01:10

Fair enough Namechangedtoday 15, I I stand corrected. There are lots of reasonable quality builders around my parents' area, that's probably the reason for the difference in cost.

I frequently see the £1500+ pm2 cost quoted on here, but in practice I don;t know anyone who has got a builder to do an extension for anywhere near as low as that. It's definitely at or over £2000 (inc VAT) for everyone I know who has had this sort of thing done recently. I just presumed it was a London thing - bit scary to think it's nationwide. And also am thinking I am really in the wrong job.

although, our builder is rubbish with accounts and we've mostly kept them - from this I can see that he hasn't made masses of profit on our job

Ragusa Sun 24-Apr-16 22:14:02

In comparison, parents did a smallish 4 m by 3 m extension. They needed a steel and had a lovely pitched roof, and it came in at £1400 m2, including VAT and pretty good finish.

We were quoted various figures from 95ish, up to 150,000. One trio of sole trader tradies (builder, plasterer/ painter and decorator, sparky) did give us a quote for around £65,000; individually they all stayed under the VAT threshold allegedly so that made them cheaper. However, they were too vague about costs for our liking.

namechangedtoday15 Sun 24-Apr-16 22:22:45

I think the key is whether it's inc or ex VAT. £1500 per sqm inc VAT is very different from £1500 per sqm ex VAT which is obviously £1800 per sqm inc VAT.

And yep, I also think I should have married a builder wink

AnotherStitchInTime Sun 24-Apr-16 22:36:21

This site has some good info on costs.

Ragusa Sun 24-Apr-16 22:46:11

I just tried that calculator - got ours pretty much spot on, little bit over what we paid maybe but not by much.

Ragusa Sun 24-Apr-16 22:51:33

I also just did it for my parents extension - again, pretty much spot on, like, within £1,000.

cbigs Sun 24-Apr-16 23:01:38

Hi op were having similar in Manchester and have been quoted around 40-50 thousand by the same team who did our loft conversion . I'm gobsmacked by the £95,000 quotes shock is that the change in area?? It's double our quote and it's a big job and big area we will have by the end... confused

namechangedtoday15 Sun 24-Apr-16 23:05:12

Quite far out for us if only confused

Ormsby Mon 25-Apr-16 20:37:26

AnotherStitchInTime does that calculator total quote inclusive of VAT?

AnotherStitchInTime Mon 25-Apr-16 22:34:13

Not that I can see Ormsby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now