Damp/ condensation

(12 Posts)
Fireflysingstheblues Fri 22-Apr-16 09:10:06

I am looking for some advise on condensation issues . The house is a victorian terrace , there is a damp proof cause throughout the ground floor , which was fitted 8 years ago . air bricks have been added to each room . We also have a dehumidifier.
There are patches of mould , behind one wardrobe and the corner of the utility room , its not excessive .
We have just had a survey , by a damp company , which suggests a roof unit , almost like an air conditioning system , could help . But in the terms and conditions , there is no guarantee it will solve the mould issue . At almost £700 , it seems like a lot of money , for something that may not work . I was wondering if anyone has had success with these units .

pizzaeatingmonkey Fri 22-Apr-16 10:42:36

Been going through the same sort of problems for the last 6 or 7 years in my Victorian terrace.
I would suggest that you get at least one or two more professional opinions about how to rectify the problem: I've never been advised to have any sort of unit on the roof. The mould behind wardrobes is to do with air being able to circulate and I have only managed to control my issue by pulling furniture away from the walls: which makes my small cottage ever smaller. I look forward to see what others suggest!
I think the reason my problem started is that I got made redundant within a year of buying the place and had already started a kitchen extension; because of lack of funds I used to just heat the back room with the log stove and not heat the rest of the house, and because it was cold, I didn't open windows either, so no ventilation or air circulation. I'm still fighting it now!
Good luck!

PigletJohn Fri 22-Apr-16 10:55:35

Do you drape wet washing around your home, or over radiators?

Which rooms have most mould?

Which windows are steamy?

Fireflysingstheblues Fri 22-Apr-16 12:06:53

The mould is a patch behind the ward robe in the front bedroom , and in the top corner of the passage to the back door , which leads from the kitchen. But it isn't in the kitchen itself . We have another company coming to look at it , but we had a builder look at it last year and we made some changes then
, such as an air brick in the front bedroom and repointing in areas . We have a tumble dryer with a condenser , so there isn't a lot of wet washing about .

Fireflysingstheblues Fri 22-Apr-16 12:12:48

Just to clarify the company have quoted us for a Loft Mounted Positive Pressure Unit.

Seeyounearertime Fri 22-Apr-16 12:15:06

was the roof install a "Positive Air" machine?

I hjave little practical experience with them but i do know that they can fix condensation issues very easily and for far less than £700, unless that included supply and fitting?

I think you can get them for about £250 and DIY them.

Fireflysingstheblues Fri 22-Apr-16 12:21:12

It is for supply and fitting , i wouldn't feel confident about a diy fit .
My concern is that the terms and conditions , they make no guarantees . We have already spent about £4000 in total on damp issues , such a damp course , pointing of bricks . air bricks . I feel that we are throwing money at an issue , which may never be resolved .
I will have look at the price of units online , maybe i was quoted a high price .

Its really good , just to get some other opinions .

thejoysofboys Fri 22-Apr-16 12:29:51

We had one of those positive air things in a previous house and it did work. It was a rental place though so I don't know what it cost.

ReallyTired Fri 22-Apr-16 12:37:39

I suggest you get an independent damp survey done rather than a visit from a salesman. We paid £250 for a damp survey and got a report outlining what needs to be done. An independent damp surveyor is paid regardless of whether there is s damp problem.

In our case the surveyor thinks there is a leak in the bathroom and we need some repointing work and to clean out our gutter. The good news is that the damp course is fine. We have lots of little jobs like removing soil that is banked up against the bricks to do.

The worse thing about buying a machine is that it maybe not addressing the real problem.

Fireflysingstheblues Fri 22-Apr-16 12:47:19

I see your point about a sales man , they would probably quote for the unit regardless weather it was necessary or not .

I am confident that it isn't rising damp or penetrating damp , but a condensation issue .

Thejoysofboys , I am glad to hear that it worked in your rental place.

HereIAm20 Sat 23-Apr-16 18:11:37

We had awful problems with damp/condensation/mould in a Victorian flat we let out. The tenants whp hailed from a hot middle east country just had no idea about needing to opn windows to ventilate even if cold outside. They had a newborn baby and subsequently there was lots of washing hung around. We dolved by literally ripong out walls and replasteroarding etc and had a positive air unit in the hall area which basically changes all the sir every 24 hours. Similar price to what you were quited. Have had ZERO problems since- well worth the money!

HereIAm20 Sat 23-Apr-16 18:12:15

Excuse all my typos - stubby fingers on an iphone!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now