Talk

Advanced search

Legionella certificate

(10 Posts)
pinkerpeony Fri 22-Apr-16 08:25:20

Have any LLs taken their own risk assesment? There are various templates online but the RICS are saying that it's not really necessary.
I want to tick every box.

specialsubject Fri 22-Apr-16 10:39:36

My risk assessment was no hot water tank as combi boiler, shower in regular use, head cleaning of shower is up to tenant, no cold water tank, only outlets are toilet and sinks and therefore I'm not paying someone to tell me that.
I have tanks in my own house and so may die horribly, but I'll take that chance.

Legionella is a risk in big places, hospitals etc but extending this to bog standard houses is nuts.

PigletJohn Fri 22-Apr-16 10:58:12

Do you have water tanks in the loft?

I'm guessing you do not have air conditioning, steam room or swimming pool.

pinkerpeony Fri 22-Apr-16 12:37:21

Thanks for the replies.
We have a cold, sealed water tank in the loft, 2 showers & 3 toilets.
It seems madness, but the Agents are certain we should pay someone.

specialsubject Fri 22-Apr-16 12:55:53

look on th HSE site which is where I got my 'low risk' assessment from.

you do NOT need to pay someone. You DO need to assess risk but you can do your own reading up on that.

PigletJohn Fri 22-Apr-16 13:03:49

the cold tank in the loft (it may have a lid, but is not hermetically sealed) should have an insulating jacket on it. They are usually fibreglass with a black plastic cover, and sold in a few sizes. People think they are to prevent the tank freezing but in fact they are to prevent it getting warm enough for bacterial growth (lofts get very hot in summer). The pipes are lagged to prevent freezing, which will also delay warming up.

It is a good idea to look inside loft tanks from time to time to see if there is drowned wildlife rotting inside. This is common if there is no lid. It might be spiders, wasps, birds, mice or squirrels.

SauvignonPlonker Fri 22-Apr-16 14:18:29

This one gets on my goat! I pay for it as part of an annual combined gas/electricity/legionella check, which brings down the cost a bit.

I do it purely as a box-ticking exercise, to comply with the legislation & have written evidence.

Don't start me on the EPC's.,...

specialsubject Fri 22-Apr-16 15:07:59

at least the EPC is only every 10 years. My agent tells me that they have NEVER known a prospective tenant ask for an EPC.

Kirriemuir Fri 22-Apr-16 19:18:10

I am an estate agent and see hundreds of home reports in Scotland every year. Not one person has ever mentioned the EPC rating ever.

Sunnyshores Sat 23-Apr-16 18:04:27

part of the assessment should also say you will check it again if anything changes to the heating/plumbing or you have a tenant in ill health and/or in say 5 years.
DO NOT pay a jobsworth to do this for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now