Bathroom configuration - add washing machine

(24 Posts)
Blueberrycheesecake1 Thu 21-Apr-16 19:49:43

Hi all

We are changing the layout of our flat and ideally would like to move the washing machine from the kitchen to bathroom.

The bathroom is 1.8m by 1.8m and currently has a bath and sink in it - it feels pretty spacious (for a bathroom in a small flat anyway!). We'd like to have a shower, toilet, sink and washing machine in there. I can't work out if and how they would all fit.

Are we being too optimistic?? Any suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks for reading!

WakeUpFast Thu 21-Apr-16 19:52:29

Not sure about sizing, but I'd bloody love my washing machine in my bathroom upstairs. I don't get why our washing machines are a kitchen electric. It must stem from the olden days when you were considered posh to have a washing machine so they were displayed on full view.

Good luck with it!

Blueberrycheesecake1 Thu 21-Apr-16 20:13:44

Thanks wakeupfast I hope it does work! I must say i would much rather hide the washing machine..

One thing I thought of was having the sink on top of the washing machine, but we are TTC and would this be too high for small children? No plans to move for a few years.

WakeUpFast Thu 21-Apr-16 20:31:32

I think with a step stool it should be fine, but you'd need space at the feet to place the stool so a child could lean over. Perhaps get measurements for where the sink would be and the dimensions of the machine. I'm not an expert though!

Blueberrycheesecake1 Fri 22-Apr-16 07:56:57

Thanks - no responses probably means no one has such a set up! Which makes me wonder why as it seems a good space saving idea..

IrenetheQuaint Fri 22-Apr-16 07:59:09

I think building regs discourage putting the washing machine in the bathroom because of the risk of electrics + water - I've only ever encountered it in an extremely dodgy rented flat.

AlbusPercival Fri 22-Apr-16 07:59:13

We did in our old flat.

There was an awkward sort of shelf. Like you might get over the stairs in a house. Washing machine was there. It was great, saved on lugging washing around the house.

Plan to do it to this house, as soon as possible as we have a massive bathroom, and tiny kitchen

IrenetheQuaint Fri 22-Apr-16 08:00:22

Here you are - apparently the washing machine would need to be at least 3m away from the bath/shower, which wouldn't be possible in your set-up.

www.mybuilder.com/questions/v/8991/is-it-legal-to-fit-a-washing-machine-in-the-bathroom

superwormissuperstrong Fri 22-Apr-16 08:05:14

Mum has her washing machine in the bathroom and it's fabulous!
But her bathroom is much bigger and although I'm sure you'll be able to configure something it sounds like it might be a right squeeze.
Remember you probably need space behind it for the pipes and around it for the movement/vibrations. Don't be too keen to box it in because then it's a nightmare for maintenance or repairs. I think the sink above it is never going to work unless you know there are special non standard height machines.
Do some drawings and play around but cramped bathrooms are a real pain - i lived with a small sink for a while and a toilet up against the wall and I hated it - one of the reasons I didn't stay longer in that property...

OnePlanOnHouzz Fri 22-Apr-16 08:21:48

According to an electricians website :
The IEE give specific advise about washers in bathrooms

Look in the Electricians guide to the building regs On page 62 it tells you that Washing machines can be fitted in a bathroom as long as
Outside Zones
Supplied from a Switched fused flex outlet
30 m/amp Rcd
Permitted by the manufacturer for the installation.

To be sure - check with your local council building regs person . Or with a qualified electrician - as each room and it's set up needs to be looked at individually.

Blueberrycheesecake1 Fri 22-Apr-16 08:23:53

Thanks so much to everyone for the replies, really appreciated! I thought it was ok if boxed in - thanks for the link Irene, I'll look into that. Yes the bathroom is small but trying to create more space in the kitchen... Somehow!

Blueberrycheesecake1 Fri 22-Apr-16 08:25:01

Thanks oneplan, I'll check that and if OK try come up with some drawings see how cramped it looks.

namechangedtoday15 Fri 22-Apr-16 09:42:06

There must be some way it's allowed. Look at this link (hope it works - St John's Wood)

photo

namechangedtoday15 Fri 22-Apr-16 09:43:22

Sorry should have said the washing machine is in the wooden cabinet (you have to scroll through all the photos to see it with the door open!)

Blueberrycheesecake1 Fri 22-Apr-16 18:10:05

Thanks! Yes surely a wall or something in between... Sounds like neither are very common though so probably less likely sad thanks so much for everyone's time, and any further experiences very welcome!

PigletJohn Fri 22-Apr-16 21:33:21

It is not the washer, but any electrical socket, that must be at least three metres from a bath or shower.

The washer can be connected to a fused flex outlet, with no plug and socket.

JumpJockey Fri 22-Apr-16 21:37:52

In our old house the washing machine was in the bathroom. It was boxed in on the sides and hard wired so the on/off switch was in the kitchen (downstairs bathroom) and no risk of elecricity and water meeting.

PigletJohn Fri 22-Apr-16 21:38:06

see page 15, bottom right-hand-corner of diagram

webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20151113141044/http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/br_pdf_ad_p_2013.pdf

You will find no reference to washing machines.

lozabella Fri 22-Apr-16 21:40:16

We have our washing machine in the bathroom. Well in the old airing cupboard which is in our bathroom! It's fabulous!

readingrainbow Sat 23-Apr-16 07:30:23

It's the best idea ever. I might nick it. ;)

Blueberrycheesecake1 Sat 23-Apr-16 08:29:45

Thanks PJ and jump - so sounds like if the socket is more than 3m away and the machine is more than 0.6m away from the side of the shower, then it would be OK? As bathroom is 1.8m by 1.8m, sounds like that might be a challenge but potentially doable...

My partner thinks the sink on the washer would be too high but I think it would be worth it if done well to create more space. Done well = washer in nice cupboard so looks a bit like a vanity unit

Thanks ioza and reading for the words of encouragement, very grateful for everyone's time!

Blueberrycheesecake1 Sat 23-Apr-16 08:31:26

Similar to this

www.bathroomsandmorestore.co.uk/product/5-310/oak-top-unit-ceramic-basin-choice-310pcbc/?gclid=CjwKEAjwuuy4BRCvs43g9fX9mz4SJACiYydPK-3tsHrxiwx1g68OiYNXEDzAxD4hiYJOnedHNGtV4xoCmUfw_wcB

PigletJohn Sat 23-Apr-16 11:12:24

no need to have a socket or plug at all. This connector accepts the flex (it needs a screwdriver and modest ability, you could have the electrician who provides the outlet connect it). it must be at least 600mm from a fixed bath or shower.

All electrical accessories must be suitable for where they are fitted, so not where it will be splashed, dripped or spilt on, even if, e.g. a basin overflows.

Blueberrycheesecake1 Sat 23-Apr-16 12:53:35

Thank you, good to know

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now