Talk

Advanced search

Been quoted £500 to remove blocked downpipe and fit new one

(5 Posts)
whataboutbob Thu 21-Apr-16 10:02:15

My dad's home (which i am responsible for as he is ill and I am his power of attorney) has developed a leak at the bottom of the front downpipe (which is encase in concrete about 1m away from the front of the house. I've been ringing roofing companies and most can't come round for 4 months (not much good!). One guy can told me the pipe is likely to be blocked, he can come round next week when I'll be at the house, but wants £500. For that he will remove old one and fit new one, and fit a kind of filter at the top which will prevent a recurrence of the problem.Is he taking the mickey? Should I just pay up, as this is obviously something that needs sorting soon? I have no idea what the price should be.
Many thanks.

peggyundercrackers Thu 21-Apr-16 10:09:47

is he breaking the old pipe out of the concrete to fit a new one? the leafguard he wants to fit on the top costs at most a few pounds - google downpipe leaf guard to get an idea of a cost of this.

even if he is breaking the old pipe out the concrete and renewing then refilling with concrete it seems a lot of money.

badaboom Thu 21-Apr-16 16:58:46

The roofers must be a highly demand job as they tend to be booked up. Around here it'll be until Aug/Sept unless you have made a booking. And then there are some of that'll ask your address and do a google earth map view of your property to see if it's worth the job.

I personally would wait and get another quote or two. Even if the job will be in 4 months time, I'd be cheeky and ask them for a quote so I'll have an idea as to how much the job will cost. Providing there's no call out fee for quotes.

OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 21-Apr-16 18:13:39

Did he wear a big Stetson hat and arrive on a horse ?!

whataboutbob Thu 21-Apr-16 20:35:18

Hmmm. He would be removing the old pipe, fixing any problems with water around the base, putting a new one up and adding the leaf guard. i have actually agreed to this as 1) I am worried it will undermine the foundations and not sure i can wait a few months. I rang round another 2 roofers nad both were booked up for 2-4 months 2) I ran this price past one of the roofers who's all booked up and he said he thought it was high-ish but not outrageous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now