Best time to do work on house?

(4 Posts)
fatflaps Tue 19-Apr-16 23:05:26

We are knocking through the back of our house and redoing the old extension which includes the kitchen. Our builder is saying it'll be approx 8 weeks of work - I'm guessing more like 12 plus kitchen fitting afterwards.

I had hoped to get it done before the summer hols but not looking likely now for various reasons.

I work full time but work from home at least 1 day per week. Eldest DC goes to preschool 3 days pw but will start school in Sept and youngest is at home either with DH (he works part time) or grandparents. So there is someone in the house most days.

Do you think it would be better to get the work done:

A) ASAP finishing at some point during the summer holidays

B) during the summer into sept

C) after the summer hols

Perhaps I'm being a bit pfb what with dc1 off to school but I think that'll be a big adjustment for us all and not sure a disrupted house will help things......

wowfudge Wed 20-Apr-16 05:44:37

Start it as soon as possible. Longer daylight hours will be helpful and it should be finished during the school holidays.

whiteagle Wed 20-Apr-16 06:04:24

If you are staying put - asap. It gets very cold with not back on the house and no heating! Just go for it - there is never a good time. Yes, it will be messy and a hassle and you will be sick of dust and ready meals but it will all be forgotten about very quickly and yes, you are being totally pfb!

fatflaps Wed 20-Apr-16 08:24:56

Great. This is what I've been saying to DH that we should just start. Would be nice to have at least most if it done in the summer.

-and thanks for the reality check re school!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now