Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen lighting design

(5 Posts)
lightingseeds Tue 19-Apr-16 20:33:43

I wonder if anyone has inspiration about a good way to light this kitchen (about to be fitted). It's a galley kitchen, but opens out into the dining room. There will be no wall cabinets so having lighting underneath those isn't an option. I'd like something striking but also of course practical, which lights the room generally but particularly the work areas. I attach the designs for the layout of the cabinets (which will probably be an off-white with grey/beige quartz worktops).

I'm thinking perhaps a series of pendants hanging over the work surfaces on both sides of the room, and nothing in the centre.

lalalonglegs Tue 19-Apr-16 22:11:53

I think that rows of pendant lights would look fussy but I quite like the idea of wall-mounted spotlights like these (but cheaper). If you're considering a glass splashback, you can get some amazing LED light effects behinnd those - see here.

lalalonglegs Tue 19-Apr-16 22:12:47

behind

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 20-Apr-16 08:32:54

You can add strip lighting to top of tall bank of cabinets for secondary lighting bounced back off ceiling - but also consider flush ceiling mounted lighting for general light too . If you add wall lights they could then be used as a point for under lighting if ever you decide to add more storage cabinets at a later date.

lightingseeds Wed 20-Apr-16 22:45:22

Thanks both, I really appreciate the replies. I'm coming to the conclusion myself that pendants will be too fussy. I think I'm going to go for LED strips incorporated into various points along the cabinets, and wondering about simple directional spots built flush into the ceiling (and then maybe going a bit more wild with a light fitting in the dining space).

Illuminated glass splashback is a groovy idea though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now