Advanced search

New kitchen installed - what certificates (if any) should I get

(8 Posts)
Babypythagorus Mon 18-Apr-16 14:58:50

My builders are increasingly lackadaisical... They've built a wall, put in a window and 2 doors, and installed a kitchen. What certificates (if any) should they be giving me for this? Thanks wise property moguls smile

lelf79 Mon 18-Apr-16 19:49:13

Marking place, just about to get new kitchen done too so i'm very interested. Sorry i'm not actually helping flowers

I think we might need a gas certificate as we are moving a boiler and probably an electric certificate but i need to double check with my builders...

Palomb Mon 18-Apr-16 19:57:29

Fensa certs for the Windows and doors. You need certs for any electrics they've changed and anything to do with the gas.

TheWildRumpyPumpus Mon 18-Apr-16 19:58:28

Should be Certs for the Windows (FENSA or CERTASS), then gas and electric depending on what work you had done in the kitchen.

We're just nearing the end of our extension and I'm wondering if I'll also get a paper Building Regs sign-off.

PingPongBat Mon 18-Apr-16 22:13:42

We've just had a utility room & new kitchen installed which involved knocking down a wall, building another one & creating a doorway, & moving a window, plus lots of electrical works.

Our builder recommended getting building control approval from the local council, and we've got an electrical safety certificate, as they also put a new ring in for the kitchen, new consumer unit etc.

Getting the building control certificate was a bit of a nightmare as our local council were completely inefficient and rather jobsworth about it. But I think it was worth doing so that when we do finally come to sell, the buyer's solicitors will be able to see it's all approved work. If you've already had the work done, then you can get it approved retrospectively (called 'regularisation'), but I think you risk them asking them to change stuff to get the certificate.

Babypythagorus Tue 19-Apr-16 18:47:47


He says I don't need fensa as the windows and doors are timber, is that right?

thewookieswife Wed 20-Apr-16 08:52:25

Electrics should be to Part P standard. Certificate given usually.

Gas is now Gas Safe ( was Corgi )
Certificate given usually.

Extractor should be as good if not better than before . ( don't think you get a certificate ? )

New Windows should have FENSA and be as effective of better than before.

.... As far as I'm aware!

TheWildRumpyPumpus Wed 20-Apr-16 11:19:30

Any new or replacement windows should have FENSA or equivalent I believe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now