Talk

Advanced search

No gas safe certificate for new boiler- what can I do?!

(10 Posts)
Upthepaddle Mon 18-Apr-16 11:23:08

We had a new boiler fitted a few months ago. We used the Worcester recommended installer. The guy didn't register the installation with gas safe. I've been chasing him up for months but he's now gone quiet and won't return any calls.

I've got the number for gas safe to report him but by all accounts this doesn't do very much. I've also been on to Worcester and told them their recommended installer is shit.
It seems like the only way I can get a gas safe certificate is to get the boiler serviced and get a certificate that way.

Would this be something trading standards would look into? I'm so pissed off with this. It's taken up far too of my time already!

lalalonglegs Mon 18-Apr-16 11:38:54

If you have used a Gas Safe engineer then Gas Safe should send someone round to check his work and issue a new certificate (if he has fitted it correctly). We did this once (years ago, when Corgi still administered gas safety) and it was perfectly straightforward - the only downside was that they didn't seem willing to take any action against the gas engineer despite him leaving us high and dry.

Upthepaddle Mon 18-Apr-16 12:09:08

lalalong Thanks. I thought it was down to us to get someone to issue a certificate. Hoping we can do what you've described.
I'm laid up with a cold today but am going to call Gas Safe tomorrow.

Do you think Trading Standards would be interested in knowing about this? I think not but this guy has pissed me off so much!

AnthonyPandy Mon 18-Apr-16 12:13:08

Well why not? You have paid for a service and not received it. Give it a go.

PigletJohn Mon 18-Apr-16 12:43:58

Have you checked on Gas Safe that he really is a registered installer?
www.gassaferegister.co.uk/about/gas_safe_registered_engineers.aspx

If not he has committed a criminal act so you can start with Trading Standards.

specialsubject Mon 18-Apr-16 14:43:15

- the boiler needs to be registered with the council under building regs, which is different from a gas safe cert. The installer should indeed have done it so get chasing with both Worcester and gas safe.

He will ignore you now he is paid if he can getr away with it, so unleash all ammo.

Upthepaddle Mon 18-Apr-16 14:47:53

Yes, he's a registered installer. He has an excellent reputation locally.

specialsubject I didn't know it had to be registered with the council as well confused. I'll definitely get on to Trading Standards.

I think the bloke thinks I'm a bit of a pushover. I want to unleash everything I can at him grin

specialsubject Mon 18-Apr-16 17:27:49

it is a simple matter of paperwork/online stuff to get it registered with the council - you'll need it if you ever sell the house. (I couldn't buy my last house until the owners had sorted this, the solicitor wouldn't let me and that's her job)

good news that he is registered. Suspect the usual 'run away and on to the next, admin is boring', the same philosophy that makes it so hard to get a gas person in the first place.

there's also the other method; if you are female, get a male to ring him. I HAD to contact one particular gas bloke and this was the only way to get him to answer the phone and do the job. And yes, Satan will ice-skate to work before I use him again or recommend him to anyone...

Upthepaddle Tue 19-Apr-16 15:25:42

specialsubject Eurgh. I can't bring myself to get a man to ring for me. Eurgh. Thanks for the heads-up about the local council. I'm still really ill today- no voice at all- but will get around to this later in the week.

smile

specialsubject Tue 19-Apr-16 15:31:31

I didn't like it either, but life is too short and my time too valuable, as I'm sure is yours. As I said, he won't work for me and I happily tell anyone who asks why not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now