Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Carpet with patio doors?

(12 Posts)
GoodbyeDoggy Mon 18-Apr-16 07:50:21

This is our first summer in our house. Currently have laminate floors but they need replacing so we're starting to think about what we want to replace it with.

It's a long living room with patio doors at the end that goes straight on to the garden. Carpet would be lovely and warm but are we setting ourselves up for a fail with it getting mucky?

wowfudge Mon 18-Apr-16 08:17:29

Is that the only access to the garden? If there is also a door off the kitchen or a utility room then I would just do it and have a rubber scraper map outside the doors and a dirt trapper type door mat inside.

GoodbyeDoggy Mon 18-Apr-16 09:06:48

It is the only access from the house. You can get to it by going out the front door and round to the garden gate but that's a faff on.

Fourarmsv2 Mon 18-Apr-16 19:10:44

Can you have an integral mat section finished that you can change?

mineofuselessinformation Mon 18-Apr-16 19:12:49

I have what Fourarms is talking about inside my front door - a section of doormat type stuff, then the carpet proper. It works really well.

Fourarmsv2 Tue 19-Apr-16 06:53:08

*finished = first I think!

Fourarmsv2 Tue 19-Apr-16 06:55:14

Like this?

Fourarmsv2 Tue 19-Apr-16 06:56:12

Or this

wowfudge Tue 19-Apr-16 08:45:45

Inset coir mat. Any carpet place can supply and fit one. We had one by the front door in our old house. They should be fitted so you can lift them out and give them a shake out from time to time.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Tue 19-Apr-16 08:59:54

We have this although it's not our only access to the garden. The previous owners had a spare rectangle of carpet cut which is just inside the patio door. It looks OK (not an amazing design feature but OK!).

LowDudgeon Tue 19-Apr-16 15:55:05

We used to have inset coir matting at our front door - a very big bit (about 1m by 2m) - people just walked across it instead of wiping hmm so we still got filthy wet feet coming in. We now have tiles there with a couple of washable rubber-backed cotton mats which are clearly doormats!

We've got one of these big Turtle mats inside the French windows at the back, which are the only rear entrance. It even does quite a good job of catching the cats' feet as they come through the cat flap. Expensive for a doormat but worth it

TheLesserSpottedBee Tue 19-Apr-16 17:46:26

We just put a rug in front of the doors (had them years) and the children came in from the garden and took their shoes off on the rug. I even had builders do this.

But I do have a square bay so there are two storage chests either side of the french doors that you can sit on to remove shoes. The rugs are washed and then stored in the storage chest ready for next time.

We have a large coir mat insert at the front door, it is fantastic. But I wouldn't want it permanently in the lounge. We now have another door that the children can use so no longer have this issue.

You can have the edges of any carpet cut off wrapped, all carpet shops can either do this or send it away to be done, cost is based on linear metre.

I would suggest a dark rug that you put out when the children are in and out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now