Talk

Advanced search

Changing a ceiling light fitting

(5 Posts)
Strokkur Fri 15-Apr-16 20:26:31

We have inherited a ceiling light fitting I can't bear the sight of. How easy are they to swap, am I likely to need an electrician? And would I need to buy something else similarly constructed or is it easy to have a pendant with a shade instead (I have one I love and nowhere to put it). Any wisdom gratefully received! I am a reasonably handy person...

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 15-Apr-16 20:32:44

wiring wise, it's basically the same as a plug, sometimes the house wires will be black (neutral) , red (live), and maybe a bare copper or green covered for earth

instead of plug fittings it's often a connector terminal block, you just wire the matching wires into the appropriate section

however it can be difficult if you have more than one light or more than one switch in a circuit and also, if the fitting is fixed to the ceiling you are going to have holes left, or vice versa you willl need to find joists if you are fixing up anything burly.

if you are a confident DIYer then it shouldn't be a problem

and make sure the electric is off before you start faffing!!

indecisivedoctor Fri 15-Apr-16 20:37:48

I had a similar issue. Been looking at horrible light fitting and curtains we inherited for months now. Made a decision to face lift the room this weekend and have found an electrician to replace one ceiling light and one wall light for £70 which I thought reasonable. Neither me or my DH are at all handy though..

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Fri 15-Apr-16 20:49:13

It was pretty cheap to get an electrician to do ours. I think you're supposed to get one rather than doing it yourself.

(They were hideous. Chandelier-style with bits of slightly opaque dark brown plastic hanging all over them rather than glass.)

Strokkur Sat 16-Apr-16 09:41:05

Thanks, this is all very helpful! It seems I am not alone in reaching breaking point with a monstrosity. I can certainly manage the electrical side, but thinking about it I a less keen on wrangling with holes, screws, weighty bits of hideous metal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now