Small bedroom and tall child

(13 Posts)
JobsonHorne Fri 15-Apr-16 17:09:34

Our youngest is going to be very tall and his bedroom is a box room - less than 6ft by 6ft. I think we've got maybe another year before he can't fit in a bed in there.

What do you do if you can't afford to extend and don't have any other space? Would it be doable to have a bed that filled the entire floor space and keep his stuff on shelves?

Really don't know what to do, garage isn't convertible and loft not high enough. I wish we could afford an extension as he'd love a bit more space. Can't move either.

SquidgeyMidgey Fri 15-Apr-16 17:27:24

Does he have to be in that room? Do you have a second room downstairs to use as a bedroom?

JobsonHorne Fri 15-Apr-16 17:46:50

No, it's open plan downstairs and not really very big. The largest part of the open plan is the lounge. I'm also a childminder and this is where I work so I can't make any of it into a bedroom.

SquidgeyMidgey Fri 15-Apr-16 17:50:18

Why can't you move, and do you only have 2 bedrooms upstairs?

Tantrictantrum Fri 15-Apr-16 17:59:34

Swap rooms with older child?

JT05 Fri 15-Apr-16 18:36:40

Are the internal walls stud work and not load bearing? If that is the case you could move a wall. Either into the neighbouring room, or if possible to take in some of the hall.

namechangedtoday15 Fri 15-Apr-16 18:45:12

What about a fold down bed / the study bed. They're expensive but it's a desk which then folds away when you pull the bed down but the desk stays horizontal so you don't have to clear it. studybed

Otherwise what about a high sleeper so there is still room for drawers / small desk etc below. You could get one custom made by a joiner to maximise the space.

Cressandra Fri 15-Apr-16 18:50:05

Google japanese bedrooms. Would a futon that can be rolled up be an option?

It might be worth investigating the loft option if funds allow. I saw an architecty programme recently where there wasn't enough height for a full loft conversion but they did a kind of mezzanine bed over the small bedroom and bathroom. You'd need to be careful about sellability but it was out of the box thinking at least! A high sleeper taken to the next level really.

JobsonHorne Fri 15-Apr-16 19:11:09

We can't afford to move, not for another few years. Three bedrooms, one older dd in bigger room next to his but not space to move ds wall, hall is just stairs and tiny landing.

High sleeper made by a joiner may be the best option. In a few years dd will hopefully be going to uni so ds can move in there. I'll look at the study beds and Japanese bedrooms too.

Thank you for your replies, this is something that I keep trying to figure out how to fix constantly. if money wasn't such an issue we would extend.

namechangedtoday15 Fri 15-Apr-16 21:18:18

Other solution - is your bathroom bigger than Bedroom 3? If you switched the bathroom and the bedroom, could you pinch some of the room next door (for example if the current bathroom is next to Bedroom 1 or Bedroom 2)?

namechangedtoday15 Fri 15-Apr-16 21:19:52

Other solution - is your bathroom bigger than Bedroom 3? If you switched the bathroom and the bedroom, could you pinch some of the room next door (for example if the current bathroom is next to Bedroom 1 or Bedroom 2)?

CharleyDavidson Fri 15-Apr-16 21:23:59

If your DS is going to be bigger than your DD then he needs the bigger room if walls etc can't be moved upstairs. It shouldn't always be the rule that the older child gets the bigger room.

Our friends swapped their bathroom into a bedroom. They did it because they had a downstairs bathroom and wanted it upstairs but I know other people who have moved their bathroom to make a bigger bedroom space available.

How big is your bedroom? My MIL, when DH was smaller, moved her and her DH into the second bedroom and split the largest room in half to make 2 smaller rooms for her DCs, with a partition wall in between. Is that an option?

JobsonHorne Fri 15-Apr-16 23:13:22

No, the bathroom is even smaller. Ours is big enough for double bed and wardrobes but no more space. DD is already 6ft at 15 so wouldn't fit in the tiny bedroom. I will look into the joiner building a sleeper bed, that's a great idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now