How quickly did you get into your house on completion day?

(57 Posts)
MaryPoppinsPenguins Fri 15-Apr-16 14:50:07

We heard from our solicitor at 10.30 to say we had completed... And we are still waiting now to be able to get in!

lavendersun Fri 15-Apr-16 14:51:36

We completed today, keys handed over at 10:50am. Poor you, you will have tons to do when you get there, waiting is grim.

Ottosaurus Fri 15-Apr-16 14:53:11

3pm

TurnOffTheTv Fri 15-Apr-16 14:53:41

Are you outside the house? Isn't it technically yours now?

CestLaVie93 Fri 15-Apr-16 14:54:18

1pm completion, didn't get the keys till 8.45pm. Pisstakers! We had a 6 month old baby too angry

TurnOffTheTv Fri 15-Apr-16 14:54:57

That's awful!

lavendersun Fri 15-Apr-16 14:57:01

Why was that Cest - simply just that the old owners were slow at moving out?

MaryPoppinsPenguins Fri 15-Apr-16 14:58:25

Luckily the house we're moving from is rented so I'm waiting there, but my DD was so excited that I was going to pick her up from school and take her to the new house and I'm not even in there yet!

I don't get what the hold up is, their vans have been outside since 9am... Surely it doesn't take 6 hours to fill 2 vans?? I'm waiting for the green light to start actually moving.. It's going to be a long night!

lavendersun Fri 15-Apr-16 14:59:31

Isn't there a time when you are supposed to be out then Mary - for the seller rather than you?

cheapandcheerful Fri 15-Apr-16 14:59:39

1pm here

GreenMarkerPen Fri 15-Apr-16 15:00:41

20 min after THAT call.
it was empty and clean.

MaryPoppinsPenguins Fri 15-Apr-16 15:01:44

I don't know... Last time we bought a house before we rented here, it was empty when we moved in so haven't had to deal with it before. I just assumed (wrongly!) that it wouldn't be too long after completion... No
One is answering my messages.

CodyKing Fri 15-Apr-16 15:08:14

If you are outside can you speak to the movers?

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Fri 15-Apr-16 15:09:30

Think it was between 1pm and 2pm

pitterpatterrain Fri 15-Apr-16 15:12:27

After lunch. Maybe 2? We handed the keys in in the morning, the movers parked up to wait and we got lunch.

NoMilkNoSugar Fri 15-Apr-16 15:58:22

We held our buyers up because it took so long to load the van. Thought we had booked a lorry, but a poxy van turned up. We had to do two trips.

GreenMarkerPen Fri 15-Apr-16 16:00:53

as soon as you get the call from the solicitor the house is all yours to go in and start unpacking

GiddyOnZackHunt Fri 15-Apr-16 16:01:50

It should be specified in your contract but I think it's about 1pm I take it you haven't got a van and removal crew waiting and clocking up a bill?

Notyetthere Fri 15-Apr-16 16:04:09

We received the phone call from solicitor that we had completed at 10am. We were already in the lovely empty house by 11.30am. Our vendors had moved out a few days before, deep cleaned the whole house and left us a happy new house card and champagne. It was so clean we have never had it that clean ever since grin.

They had even mowed the lawn that it looked like a green velvet carpet. It still remember this day clearly 3yrs ago, sun was shining, I wore a long skirt and black tshirt (we weren't moving in till next day). After having rented for a while this was a dream come true. Ah. Anyway, I digress. Sorry misses the point of this thread completely

Foxsox Fri 15-Apr-16 16:06:04

We moved into an empty house so oncevee completed at 11am we were free to collect the keys & get going. We just had to wait for the removal guys to finish our old house.

deepdarkwood Fri 15-Apr-16 16:07:23

Think we were out of ours by 1pm (as agreed - although the money went through earlier - maybe 11am and gave us a shock!) then straight into new one - they were out already, having deep cleaned. A relief as a few weeks before they'd asked me if the usual thing was to actually move out on completion day. Errrrr, yes!

NicknameUsed Fri 15-Apr-16 16:08:51

About 4pm last time we moved. You would have thought that in this electronic age it wouldn't take solicitors all day to transfer the money across. There must be some kind of scam going on. We were technically homeless for several hours.

Our neighbours opposite moved a couple of weeks ago and and ended up spending all day hanging around due to the solicitors fannying about. We had both the new people's and the outgoing neighbours' furniture lorries outside

CMOTDibbler Fri 15-Apr-16 16:09:13

Our last house, they hadn't even got a van at 9 - at 12 once we had completed for 2 hours, I had to send the lads round to have a word as all our boxes were sat at the end of the garden (we were in rented and as it worked out the house we bought was 2 doors down from the back garden) and it was going to rain. Our landlords were having the house back that afternoon as they had to move in themselves.
They got a move on then, but it was so annoying!

MadisonAvenue Fri 15-Apr-16 16:13:37

This house it was around noon but when we bought our previous house back in 1994 we had to wait until the following day. There was a lovely old lady living there but she'd signed the house over to her daughter and son in law so they were selling it and she was going into sheltered accommodation. However, a few days before completion they decided that they wouldn't be able to travel to move her out on completion day so she was stuck! Luckily we were living with parents so didn't hold up anyone else.

19lottie82 Fri 15-Apr-16 16:15:19

We got a call to pick the keys up from the solicitors about 1030 / 11 am I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now