Talk

Advanced search

Really boring question about tv ariels

(12 Posts)
bookishandblondish Thu 14-Apr-16 23:29:44

I'm moving into a house which has had sky and still has the dish.

I have BT ( legacy of living in flats/ no cable area) and still on contract.

Will I need to do anything to change - I've tried googling like mad and just get the fairly unhelpful advice about buying a second hand sky box.

And can't face talking to BT again just yet as currently call centred out.

LittleBearPad Thu 14-Apr-16 23:33:01

Not quite sure what you are asking?

Having a satellite dish doesn't mean there's no normal aerial.

bookishandblondish Fri 15-Apr-16 00:07:58

Think you may have just answered - basically will I just be able to plug in current to box or does Sky have its own special aerial that doesn't work for anything else.

PigletJohn Fri 15-Apr-16 00:16:09

You can watch Freeview with an aerial. Any modern TV will have a Freeview decoder built in.

An ordinary TV aerial is probably already present and will probably work for Freeview, but you may need a new aerial, and possibly new co-ax cable. There are aerial fitting companies, otherwise you will need to look up the correct orientation and compass bearing for your local transmitter so you can aim the aerial correctly. Aerial pros like to put it on the roof so it can be attacked by wind, rain and pigeons. Mine is satisfactory in the loft.

If the house already has a correct sky dish, you can get a sky decoder to attach to your TV. IMO this is less convenient than letting the TV do it.

AndNowItsSeven Fri 15-Apr-16 00:16:13

The sky lead will only work with a sky dish for freesat. For freebies you need a regular arial there should be one on the roof/hanging down.

AndNowItsSeven Fri 15-Apr-16 00:16:33

Freeview not freebies!

Seeyounearertime Fri 15-Apr-16 00:17:40

Sky has a cable from the dish through the wall and into a receiver ( i believe theyre most often twin cable, black, small connectors)
BT TV comes through normal rooftop aerial (brown wore quite thick, silver connector usually) doesn't it so you'll have to make sure the antenna is up on the roof.

You could also, I believe, get a Freesat box and plug sky cable into that.

GiddyOnZackHunt Fri 15-Apr-16 00:20:36

You can use a freesat box with a Sky dish. Humax do decent freesat boxes.

HeadDreamer Fri 15-Apr-16 08:31:26

If the house has sky you can use a freesat box to watch freesat. A lot of houses with sky dishes don't have terrestrial aerials. At least a lot of the ones around where I live don't LittleBearPad. In fact the house I just moved in last year have neither. We are in an area with virgin cable so a lot of houses just have that. Also, many I know now just get TV via the internet. It's what we got now. Just a firestick on the TV.

SquinkiesRule Fri 15-Apr-16 16:26:36

Do you mean BT for TV?
We are changing over to BT for fibre broadband and TV. You have to connect the box to the TV ariel for the free channels and others are through the WiFi box, we are having some plug in thing attached to the BT TV box as the TV is far from the WiFi box in the hall.

bookishandblondish Fri 15-Apr-16 17:09:07

Yes - so wifi is fine - it's just the aerial I'm confused about.

TV under contract so alternatives don't make sense - I want to use what I'm paying for smile

SquinkiesRule Sat 16-Apr-16 07:51:30

I'd call BT and tell them what you have and see what they say. if you can get through people here say they can't

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now