Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ladybird infestation - what to do?!

(16 Posts)
NotdeadyetBOING Wed 13-Apr-16 16:54:54

Normally I love them, but entire house (old, wooden) now overrun with the blighters. Millions. Apparently they don't nest in wood and aren't invasive in any way - but how on earth is one supposed to get rid of them?

SunnySomer Wed 13-Apr-16 16:57:08

Is it a thing this year? We, too, are overrun and my MIL (opposite end of the country) said she is too.
I just pick them up and put them outside.

Mum2KSS Wed 13-Apr-16 17:00:12

I've been removing a couple each day from our bedroom window as well - we live in Oxfordshire...

NotdeadyetBOING Wed 13-Apr-16 17:00:38

Keep being woken up by them in the night -as they fall on my face

AveEldon Wed 13-Apr-16 17:01:55

you can vacuum them up
apparently spraying the areas where they nest with insect spray eg windows in the autumn is best as it puts them off

NotdeadyetBOING Wed 13-Apr-16 17:03:53

Just any old insect spray? That is interesting and I will do it in the autumn, but in the meantime I guess just opening the window and trying to brush them out or hoovering them up is the only answer. Have never had it like this so rather odd.

PetraDelphiki Wed 13-Apr-16 17:04:27

Google ladybird pest control and get someone in. I think after bleaching and glossing all the wood where they could have laid eggs and then pest control smoke bombing they are gone...I hope! I've really gone off the nasty little things - they were living inside the curtain track!

PigletJohn Wed 13-Apr-16 18:19:38

when it's very cold and they are inactive (early morning perhaps) you can gently brush them into a bin or bucket and take them outside. They have come in for shelter from the cold, I believe they can smell where other lbs have been.

It seems a shame to kill them in the vac.

A rose-grower might be glad of them.

puggymummy1 Wed 13-Apr-16 22:51:58

We have lots too!

FrikkaDilla Wed 13-Apr-16 23:03:05

I think it would be dreadful to vacuum them - how cruel. Just sweep them up and put them outside. I had lots in our bathroom once. I couldn't have harmed them. They've never come back.

cooper44 Wed 13-Apr-16 23:13:53

people pay good money for ladybirds - well gardeners do at least.
sorry no help

McBaby Thu 14-Apr-16 07:36:19

They will all move out soon as its warmer. We used to get them every year.

AvengingGerbil Thu 14-Apr-16 07:48:17

If you know their entry point, rub it with white spirit - they don't cross over. They have some sort of homing beacon like salmon and keep coming back along the same route unless you block it.

(This may not be scientifically accurate, but I have found it to work.)

Wolpertinger Thu 14-Apr-16 07:57:26

I vacuumed them up - there were loads and garden hasn't suffered. The ones that come indoors are invasive Harlequin ladybirds which are squeezing out native species anyway.

If you can see their entry point or where they like to cluster in the house, smother it in Olbas oil. They leave scent which attracts them back year after year - I've had a lot less after covering my window edges and their fav spots with Olbas.

NotdeadyetBOING Thu 14-Apr-16 08:07:25

Right - will try Olbas Oil and white spirit!
We do have a lovely garden (with roses) so will see if I can persuade them to move house…..

Moving15 Thu 14-Apr-16 08:23:27

I think there is a population surge. We had the same thing in our old home last winter and our current house does too. They are all waking up and moving out now it's warming up. I read that they send out scent signals to summon other ladybirds to come to good hibernation spots.
I prefer excess ladybirds to excess green fly aphids or ants!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now