Talk

Advanced search

ANYONE TURN DOWN A COUNCILPROPERTY AND LATER REGRET IT? IS A RISK TO SAY NO

(7 Posts)
Luv2chatu Mon 11-Apr-16 13:20:55

Hi all,

Would really appreciate your contribution to this post. Has anyone turned down a property through the council bidding list in the hope of finding something better and later regretted it?

I've seen a lovely maisonette which has own drive, own front door, own garden and internal upstairs and downstairs, so strong resembles that of a house, however their is a tenant above.

it's located on a pretty estate whereas I currently live on a pretty street property. I have previously lived on an estate and never wanted to again.... I know not all are bad, however the experience I had of of returing home to the congregation of gangs culture was extremely intimidating, the mopeds back and forth annoying and the sitting on your car very disrespectful.

This estate however does not have any tower locks or high rise mainly maisonettes and small flats...and I've asked a few neighbours and they had nothing negative to report...

I'm worried if I don't accept I may not get another property that is better, But I really wanted a street property for the safety of my children though I am aware that danger can happen anywhere

Do you think its a risk given the scarcity of properties to be saying no to this one

whataboutbob Mon 11-Apr-16 21:25:08

Luv2chatu I suspect not many people on this board have been in the position of having a council flat offered (I did go on the list in London about 13 yrs ago and was told I was about no 1000 in the queue). Anyway, I guess it would depend very much where in the country you are. if it's anywhere with high pressure on social housing i would think it's unwise to turn it down. It sounds rather nice. If concerned about crime why not go down to the local police station and ask an officer about the estate, explain your concerns and they should give you an idea of the issues the estate has, if any.

gamerchick Mon 11-Apr-16 21:28:33

It depends on where you are really.

However I see a secure tenancy rather than a house, you can always exchange later on if it doesn't suit.

lordStrange Mon 11-Apr-16 21:29:44

Lots on here have council properties OP!
I would try and visit at different times and really get a feel for the estate. Like you say there are plenty that are lovely and safe, but I understand your concern.

makingmiracles Mon 11-Apr-16 21:52:30

I would agree with above poster, try to visit or scout out the area specifically fri/sat late evenings, if no trouble and no youths etc hanging about I'd say it's a pretty safe bet

Luv2chat2U Mon 11-Apr-16 21:59:32

Hi all thank you for your useful comments.

@whataboutBob, making inquiries with the local police is an excellent idea thank you.

@gamerchick, I thought of that, re: swap, particularly as it has own entrance etc. thank you

@lordstrange, yep I've been their several times at different times of the day, thank you for your advice and understanding

Regards

Luv2chat2U Mon 11-Apr-16 22:55:06

Thank you makingmiracles😀

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now