Converted Victorian house with character vs peace

(21 Posts)
Luv2chatu Mon 11-Apr-16 08:49:53

Hi all, I would really appreciate your contribution to my post.

The home I currently occupy is an old build property with lots of character, beautiful huge sash widows wich lets in plenty of light and massive rooms. However the downfall is:

No soundproofing and low ceilings which means my neighbours may as well move in since the (everyday living sounds is so intrusive that it feels like they already are) between the dog and the kids stampeding about it feels like a daily earthquake and literally my furniture in my property vibrate...

Im in the process of viewing another property however it's a new build property, I've tested out the soundproofing can't hear anything....but it lacks character

Is the character property worth the headache?

lalalonglegs Mon 11-Apr-16 09:07:49

No. Beware that poor build quality has been a problem on new-build estates and poor soundproofing is often the result so , if you have only tested it in the Shoshone, you may be disappointed with the final article.

Luv2chatu Mon 11-Apr-16 09:19:33

hi there

Thanks for your response, the character property is in fact the one I'm already in, not the new one.....

UpsiLondoes Mon 11-Apr-16 09:25:28

Agree with above that new builds are notorious for bad soundproofing - unlike the Victorian, there's nothing much you can do with the newbuild. I'm assuming both are flats? It sounds like the newbuild is quieter because of the neighbours (lack of kids and dog in new place?) which of course can change. What soundproofing measures have you done to your current house already?

Drquin Mon 11-Apr-16 09:39:40

Whilst character is lovely, if all else was equal I would value the peace greater than character however.

Having said that, are you comparing like for like? Any flat will sound quiet if no-one is living above. If it's a show-home style arrangement, is there a similar (new) development you could check out? (Either visit a friend living there, or view a flat for sale there, just to check?)

Are there any restrictions on the new build (e.g. No wooden floors, no pets?) which might assist in noise reduction?

Is a top-floor flat in the new build available?

Research additional sound-proofing for both, and see what you could practically add (DIY).

Luv2chatu Mon 11-Apr-16 10:23:54

Hi there thanks for your advice.... The Victorian property i currently live in is at fault for sure in that even ordinary walking in the evening when the kids are in bed still sounds dreadful, constant pounding... Even I use to go about my daily routine tiptoeing because I could feel the thud when I walked and worried for the neighbour below.....but gave up in the end....

In order to attempt to resolve this I would have to install soundproofing however, the ceilings are too low for it to be really effective and then there is no guarantee it will even work

lalalonglegs Mon 11-Apr-16 11:08:26

Shoshone confused should have read showhome...

Donatellalymanmoss Mon 11-Apr-16 11:18:50

In my experience purpose built flats tend to have much better soundproofing than a badly done Victorian conversions.

In your situation I would move, no amount of pretty features will make up for the misery of living with unwanted noise. Also, contrary to some opinions, it is perfectly possible to make a new build property look and feel like a lovely home.

Luv2chatu Mon 11-Apr-16 12:17:40

Lol thank you so much donatellalymanmoss your advice is extremely helpful. I like the way you state not even pretty features would make you stay. Also I have lived in both Victorian property and new build the new build was built with concrete so it was soundproofed to the maximum....it was great. Though I am aware that, that doesn't speak for all new builds.

@lalalonglegs thanks for the correction....

Luv2chatu Mon 11-Apr-16 12:18:51

Thanks everyone for your advice

Mandolinoparadiso Mon 11-Apr-16 12:42:53

I lived in the ground floor flat of a Victorian conversion and suffered terribly with noise from above. So I looked specifically for a flat on the top floor/s of a period building and am now living on the top two floors of a Victorian house with lots of period features, and it is also very quiet, especially in the bedrooms which are on the top floor.

Luv2chatu Mon 11-Apr-16 13:00:16

Wow you are so lucky, thanking you for sharing your experience.. Unfortuantely I'm not buying so don't have the same choices, however I have been very strict with the council about what sort of property I want and at the moment they are doing as much as they can to accommodate me because they have made several errors re: this situation., and therefore they have made my case a priority.

Luv2chat2U Fri 15-Apr-16 22:12:17

Artistic Sat 16-Apr-16 23:46:53

I have lived in a new build flat as well as new build terraced home. Both had superb soundproofing as well as kept the heat in. Excellent in all ways and you can decorate to bring some character. I was really surprised when we lived in the terrace, we had neighbours on both sides and never heard a thing!

Believeitornot Sun 17-Apr-16 09:04:54

I lived in a Victorian detached house converted in to two flats. In places the sound proofing was good because of the thick walls but in other places it was poor.

We've moved to a semi detached house and the sound proofing is dire - I am tempted to lose some inches off the dining room and bedroom to put sound insulation up!

If the noise of your current property bothers you, I would move.

Luv2chat2U Sun 17-Apr-16 09:45:40

Thanks Artistic!

I have also previously lived in a new build and it was great, didn't hear a sound, I was on the 1st floor and was able to use my trampoline to exercise every morning at around 6:30 , put the blender on for my smoothies and put the washing machine on at around 3am if I forgot about the school shirts or work clothes. 😀

I'm a really considerate neighbour believe me and would never do this if I thought their was an issue, but the property was made of concrete .

I WOULD NEVER DO THAT WHERE I LIVE NOW....THE WHOLE PLACE WOULD VIBRATE!

I also had a neighbour with children above, heard absolutely nothing...

In my Victorian property now.....complete opposite, every movement can be heard and felt.

goshhhhhh Sun 17-Apr-16 09:48:09

Peace for me...

Luv2chat2U Sun 17-Apr-16 09:54:28

@ believeitornot, thanks for sharing you experience....

I've decided to move, I simply cannot cope anymore as its really affecting my health.....

I will miss my location, even mourn it, but my health comes first.

Luv2chat2U Sun 17-Apr-16 09:55:46

@gosh couldn't agree with you more.....it's been a living nightmare😢😞

Artistic Sun 17-Apr-16 10:03:19

I'd like to add that I now live in a new build detached house. Utter bliss!!!

Luv2chat2U Sun 17-Apr-16 12:25:05

Lol @artistic I'm happy for you👍

My turn next

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now