Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is £4000 a fair quote for labour to fit a new ensuite?

(17 Posts)
Hopalot Fri 08-Apr-16 20:29:44

I've had 3 quotes at roughly this price plus 2 others at a couple of thousand £ more. The job should take 2 weeks. I live in south east, north of London. Any thoughts please as this seems such a lot for labour only or is this the going rate now?

Room size is approx 2.7 x 150
Quote includes:
Ripping out old shower, loo, basin, boxing & tiles (half wall)
Make good walls and build new boxing behind shower to possibly increase size slightly and add 2 lit cubby holes.
Install wall hung WC and build boxing for that
Install new shower enclosure, tray and shower
Install wall hung vanity basin
Install Underfloor heating
Install mirrored cabinet with electrics
Plaster and paint ceiling
Supply and install 3 LED spotlights
Supply and install new extractor fan
Fully tile walls
Plywood floor and tile
Clear rubbish

HerRoyalNotness Fri 08-Apr-16 20:32:22

Seems like a lot to me, I'll be interested to see what others say.

What is the timeframe they quote you, a week? 2 weeks?

JimmyGreavesMoustache Fri 08-Apr-16 20:32:25

our small bathroom cost £2.2k labour for very similar - no underfloor heating though
this is in a large city in the North

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Fri 08-Apr-16 20:36:46

That's ridiculous! First of all if they are working all day it should not take two weeks, if it is a single worker I his own I would guesstimate 8 working days.

Second, that quote is crazy for labour only. If that included the cost of the loo sink shower fair enough but it doesn't. Get some more quotes.

peggyundercrackers Fri 08-Apr-16 20:46:04

That's less than we were quoted by three different people last year by between £500 and £1k. We are in Scotland but I thought it would be more expensive in London.

OTheHugeManatee Fri 08-Apr-16 20:47:47

We are also SE, north of London. We are currently paying around £5K for labour to do the following in a 3 X 3.5m bathroom and the 1m X 1.5m toilet next door:

- Strip old suite out
- Replumbing for new layout
- Board out external walls and skim whole room inc. ceilings
- Half panel walls with matchboard, plus dado edging and skirting, rebuild window and door architraves, trim and rehang doors
- Tile shower enclosure, overboard and tile floors
- Fit sanitaryware
- wire for and fit new lights, shave socket and fan

Decoration and clearing rubbish not included as I do the painting and we had a skip for other works at the same time.

I'd say £4K is not outrageous though not cheap for a relatively small bathroom. If you are unconvinced you could try getting trade quotes separately for the various jobs to see if it comes in cheaper.

Hopalot Sat 09-Apr-16 09:57:53

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.
For such a small space it seems such a lot of money for 2 weeks work (one man, not VAT registered).
We had another quote for a similar price which included VAT so there obviously is some leeway there. Thanks again

HermioneWeasley Sat 09-Apr-16 10:15:40

Assuming 2 weeks is 10 days, that's £400/day which is a high day rate. I'd also question the job being 10 days work

Squeegle Sat 09-Apr-16 10:22:30

I'm in Herts
Just had my bathroom redone - labour was £160 per day, worked out at around £2500. Including taking old suite out, replastering
Fitting hardboard floor and new door on boiler cupboard. And fitting new suite and shower and radiator and including a the cost of a large new mirror. But no tiling.

Squeegle Sat 09-Apr-16 10:22:58

PS the tiling labour was an additional £450.

snowspider Sat 09-Apr-16 10:32:26

Or to put it another way, he is not vat registered, he estimates his work rate at 2000k a week equals he takes a lot of holiday not to cross the vat threshold

and he works pretty slowly

LizzieMacQueen Sat 09-Apr-16 10:45:00

Although it doesn't include the cost of the new fittings, does that price include things like the fan, the spotlights, the plywood, plaster and paint. What about tiles? All these things add up.

In my experience it is the cost of the bathroom ware that is the least expensive. That in itself is an argument to get decent fittings because they represent quite a small % of the overall cost.

Wiifitmama Sat 09-Apr-16 10:52:34

We are mid similar on our ensuite. Labour is £3000. We are not doing underfloor heating, ceiling doesn't need plastering and we are paying separately for rubbish removal. Otherwise quite similar work. We are zone 2 NWLondon

Balletgirlmum Sat 09-Apr-16 10:58:01

Our plumbers are charged out at about £30-£32 per hour (£35-36 for gas) so based on our standard 38.5 hour working week that sounds about right.

Balletgirlmum Sat 09-Apr-16 11:00:15

Just re-read your OP. For underfloor heating we wouldn't send out a basic plumber so you'd be looking at £35 per hour so just over 2.5k labour for two weeks work

Hulababy Sat 09-Apr-16 11:03:19

Our bathroom and our ensuite too around 10 days too. Seems to be fairly normal ime.

Cost - potentially on the higher side of the normal range, though may depend where int he country you are. Not way out ime again though.

Our labour cost included the price of paint, lighting, etc.

Hopalot Sat 09-Apr-16 12:16:59

Price includes ceiling paint, extractor fan, 3 LED spotlights, plaster, plywood for floor, boxing materials, grout etc for tiling.

Forgot to mention that it includes removal of radiator and installation of heated towel rail - sorry .

The cost of tiling is £900 for 20m sq.

I'm assuming rubbish clearing will include a skip but will have to check.

Squeegle, we're in Herts too so would you mind letting me know who you used please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now