Advanced search

Repair work needed but have no idea what. Please help!

(7 Posts)
AnotherRubberDuck Fri 08-Apr-16 08:16:18

We bought our flat just over 2 years ago. And the electrics aren't great. There were multiple wires in trunking on the outsides of the walls. So we decided to re-do our hallway (where most of the issue is). I looked on YouTube for how to sink wires and sockets into walls etc and it looked really easy. It wasn't. And then I got pregnant and lost all energy/desire to finish. So for the last year and a half we've been living in a half wall, half plaster, wires hanging down house!
I just want to get it fixed now but don't know what trade it falls under. I know it'll need plastering when done, and and I'm happy to paint it myself (already got the paint). But do I need an electrician or general purpose handyman (I don't even know what they're called)?! And where's the best place to find them?

(one of the wires doesnt go anywhere, it just ends! and some are held together by peeling bits of electric tape. -writing this I'm thinking an electrician is the best option!)

Do I have to hire all the tradespeople separately or can I get one person who will organise / do it all?
what sort at price am I looking at? (70's building, whole hall is only about 5×2.5 m, with 5 doorways and a long window, so not much actual wall.)

l'm so clueless! Any help gratefully recieved.
(I can take photos if it'll help)

wonkylegs Fri 08-Apr-16 08:20:44

I would get an electrician in to check for safety and remove any unnecessary wiring. Some will plaster up chasings in walls but depending on the state of your walk you may want to get a plasterer in after they've finished to give you a nice even skim coat across the whole surface. Electrician may even recommend a plasterer.
Neither job is necessarily expensive but I'd get a few quotes so you can compare.

Perseus Fri 08-Apr-16 08:27:26

I would get an electrician to look at this. It sounds to me like someone did DIY electrics and that is why it is all in trunking.

Wires held to together with electrical tape don't sound good.

Trades generally in our area are £20/hr plus materials but in the South East may be a lot higher.

You need a plasterer as well as an electrician because it sounds like q lot of plaster is missing. Its not just filling a few chasings and sanding.

The only caution I would add is that some electricians get into a home and start with the whole 'oh you will need a new consumer unit (fuse board) and a partial rewire, etc' to bump up the small job into a big one. You just need someone to fix the wiring in the hall and do a general safety check. It might be fiddly though so expect to pay for a day of work.

Ifailed Fri 08-Apr-16 08:28:10

Agreed about getting qualified people in, here's a useful guide to what you can do yourself, and what should be done by a qualified electrician. Make sure they sign-off the work as it could be raised if you decide to move later on.

Also agree about getting a plasterer to finish up afterwards. You can do that at a later time as the electrical works will be safe. Is it likely you'll need other plastering work done - if so you could do it all in one job?

AnotherRubberDuck Fri 08-Apr-16 10:20:27

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Very helpful.

I am a bit worried that the whole fuze box electric meter thing does need replacing Persues so not sure I'd be able to withstand them trying to make it into a big job! I'm really quite bad at saying no.

That's a great website Ifailed thanks.

Qwebec Sat 09-Apr-16 16:55:54

I found that getting multiple quotes was helpful in fending off some of the tradesmen that push for bigger jobs. When they came I asked my questions and listened. The ones that talked to me like I did not need to know what was going on or that put pressure on me are not called again. I gave in once and have always regretted it. Now I try, if I'm happy with the quote, to hire the one that takes the time to explain what is going on and does not try to emotionaly blackmail me.

If one electrician tries to get you to change the fuse box, ask the other electritians what they think about it.

Ifailed Sat 09-Apr-16 17:01:47

hope it goes ok for you.

BTW, I read fuze box as fuzz box and sniggered. I'm still a teenager at heart, sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now