Talk

Advanced search

What would you do with a bedroom shaped like this?

(14 Posts)
linspins Thu 07-Apr-16 21:51:16

We've just bought a house and it has an extension, which has created a new bedroom. The corridor for it has taken part of another room, and the bedroom is the full depth of the house from front to back. So it's a long thin room. It's actually divided in to two rooms, but a stud wall...which we could remove, but i don't know if we should. Back room is the bigger part, and is south facing and looks over garden and then farmland views. Front room is smaller and is more overlooked by houses opposite. My daughter, nine, could have one part as a bedroom and one part as study/dressing room etc, with a curtain over opening to make it cost or we could create one long room. Making it all one thing means you wouldn't get so much privacy, and might create a feeling of all the furniture lined up in a row along the far wall.
The room is only just bed width, so limited in putting it by either window, or length ways. I just can't picutre what we should do...
Radiator can be moved th wherever we want, and I'm going to rehang door to open out in to corridor.
Anyone else got a long thin room?

HolaWeenie Thu 07-Apr-16 22:07:24

Zoning the room off for different uses is a good idea, my son has a long thin room, up the window end he has a bookshelf and a kallax unit facing in to each other and then a rug on the floor between the too so that's his reading / playing area, then we've gone crazy and got him a double bed for the middle, he then has a bit of open space and the bottom end is wardrobe and mirror/ his dressing area. He's only 4 so no real need for a desk area etc just yet.

They're a pain but done right they can work well.

Jaimx86 Thu 07-Apr-16 22:11:13

My room as a teen was like this. One half had my bed, triple wardrobes and vanity area with sink. The other half had a desk, sofa, book shelf, TV etc. I liked how I had a seperate chill out space when my mates came round.

linspins Thu 07-Apr-16 22:15:20

I'm thinking that having the wall also means that you can put furniture against it, and shelves etc. Dd is feeling a bit 'hhhhhmmmm' about the whole room though, as her last bedroom was a large rectangle, and beautiful ( I liked her room more than mine!). This new one has more space in terms of square metres, but does feel thin and narrow.

linspins Thu 07-Apr-16 22:18:30

Holaweenie, yours sound nice...a double bed for your four year old, lovely decadence. This room couldn't have a bed dividing it up, as the rooms width is only bed length,, so you'd never be able to get the other side of the bed without climbing over it.

HolaWeenie Thu 07-Apr-16 22:28:32

Oh that's a shame. Where you can try to zigzag the stuff along the walls so if you have something on/along the wall that the door is on then the next thing should go along/on the opposite side, to stop that feeling of everything lined up.

SoupDragon Thu 07-Apr-16 22:31:04

Is there a radiator under the front window?

SoupDragon Thu 07-Apr-16 22:32:54

Can you move the door up the corridor so that the corridor is part of the room and the door doesn't have to take space in the room?

linspins Thu 07-Apr-16 22:35:46

Yea, I can move the door, it can go a foot in to the corridor and open in to the corridor too, so it doesn't take up floor space. Radiator is under big back window but to give options for bed to go against that wall, I thought we'd put an upright radiator in, on the wall near the door.

linspins Thu 07-Apr-16 22:36:36

Actually, there is a radiator under the front window too, but will probably leave that one.

SoupDragon Thu 07-Apr-16 22:37:33

I would leave the wall and put the head of the bed against it. If you wanted a double, you can get small doubles - too small for two really but great for one!

SoupDragon Thu 07-Apr-16 22:37:58

X posts

SoupDragon Thu 07-Apr-16 22:38:35

Something like a day bed or sofa bŷ the rear window would be nice.

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Thu 07-Apr-16 22:56:44

Ignoring the style, I'd do something like this. Remove the stud wall, place the bed in the middle of the room facing towards the lovely view, position free standing single wardrobes back to back with the bed headboard with a dressing table/desk between them and make the front part of the room into a study come dressing room.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now