Talk

Advanced search

Anyone built a kit house?

(6 Posts)
Lara2 Thu 07-Apr-16 19:30:57

DH was diagnosed with MS about 3 years ago and we will need a single storey house within the next 5 years. The only way to afford this is to build on part of our garden. I need to bring the build in at 100k tops and that's going to be tough as it is. I've been looking at kit/flat pack houses, and really want to find out how easy the process was, which company did you use, cost etc from people who've done it already. I've trawled t'internet and magazines but can only find fabulously expensive examples. I need humble and realistic please.
TIA!

KingEdward Tue 26-Apr-16 10:51:13

Have you looked at hive haus? They are based in Lancashire. It would cost a lot less than £100k but obviously depends on how large you want it. Hth.

JT05 Tue 26-Apr-16 18:40:24

Someone I know went down this route and was surprised that it wasn't as simple as it sounded!

Make sure you know exactly what is included in the price, such as internal finishes, roofing slates, wiring, plumbing etc. Don't forget the ground works, foundations, drains etc. Will they get the planning permission and do all the tec stuff. Included in the price? Who will supervise the build?

If you need a mortgage you will need a qualified Architect to sign the building off, thus taking the responsibility of the build quality onto their indemnity insurance.

Sometimes it is cheaper to get an independent builder who is familiar with timber framed houses to give an all in quote.

officerhinrika Tue 26-Apr-16 20:34:45

Google Heb Homes ( sorry can't do link here) for a really useful inspiring website. They have several lovely single storey kit homes and gives sample prices for all styles. They start quite reasonably.
When my lottery ticket comes up I want to use them smile

Lara2 Wed 11-May-16 14:33:55

Sorry I haven't been back - thank you for your replies. JTO5, they're some really useful tips. I will look at Hive Haus - I have visited Heb Homes website, and so far they are about the cheapest I've seen. Just need them to tweak the design to an L-shape!

OnePlanOnHouzz Fri 13-May-16 11:45:41

Can you not adapt and extend your existing home to add a bedroom suite to ground floor ?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now