Talk

Advanced search

Advice on telling tenants I'm selling

(42 Posts)
daisiesinthespring Wed 06-Apr-16 13:44:59

The situation is complicated by the fact they are friends of friends - would you text, tell them face to face?

Am thinking of putting house on the market in June or July smile

LIZS Wed 06-Apr-16 13:46:11

Not text. Face to face or letter. You'll need to issue a statutory notice too, can you afford a void period if they leave before you sell.

Cottonflossy Wed 06-Apr-16 13:47:33

Face to face and a letter to follow up with. Give them as much notice as possible and provide references as soon as you can.

daisiesinthespring Wed 06-Apr-16 13:48:40

Definitely face to face? It's a good 2 hour drive so I'd have to text them to give them notice of my arrival - if that makes sense.

daisiesinthespring Wed 06-Apr-16 13:49:17

Yes, a void period is fine and preferable in some ways as I do need to decorate and don't want to do that 'around' them as it were.

Cottonflossy Wed 06-Apr-16 13:50:25

Yes I think it's better face to face. Depends how good of friends you are I suppose and how your relationship has been so as tenants/landlords. I definitely wouldn't do it via text.

wowfudge Wed 06-Apr-16 13:55:51

If they agree to meet with you, it'll be an opportunity to see the place and check if anything needs doing too.

Titsalinabumsquash Wed 06-Apr-16 13:57:27

If you really can't get there for a face to face then at least call rather than text! Follow with a letter.

daisiesinthespring Wed 06-Apr-16 13:59:45

I'm just thinking if I was a tenant and the landlady ominously said she wanted to come round it might feel a bit threatening!

53rdAndBird Wed 06-Apr-16 14:00:06

Can you give them a ring, if visiting would be impractical? Text feels a bit inappropriate.

daisiesinthespring Wed 06-Apr-16 14:05:49

Yes, I will do I think - thanks.

When do you think would be best?

winchester1 Wed 06-Apr-16 14:08:07

Sooner the better id think. Give them as much time as possible to sort a move. Id do it this evening (after kids would be in bed if they have them).

daisiesinthespring Wed 06-Apr-16 14:10:35

Thank you smile

Notyetthere Wed 06-Apr-16 17:00:57

Our landlord sent us a letter offering us to buy the flat if we wished. We weren't planning on settling in the area so we declined but this did cause a little panic in us as we were planning on buying a house in our preferred location 6 months later didnt want to move to another rented place.

Anyway, call them, tell them what you intend to do then follow it up with the s21 if you want to sell the property vacant. We were lucky that they actually didnt want to have a void period so they marketed it with us in it the flat. We didn't have a problem with the viewings. Most of them were when we were out at work anyway. Their plan was to give us the s21 once they had an offer accepted.

specialsubject Wed 06-Apr-16 17:34:23

call them, a section 21 out of the blue is a bit frightening for tenants that haven't done anything wrong.

You can issue the notice for longer than 2 months. As they don't have to allow viewings, and you can't sell until they've left unless to another landlord, there are many reasons to have the place empty before you start marketing.

lalalonglegs Wed 06-Apr-16 18:22:50

Depending on where you live, marketing the property in June /July probably means you're going to be in the start of thes summer doldrums plus you can't give your tenants more than the two months statutory notice and allow a couple of weeks for redecorating etc. I'd tell them now and give them the summer to sort themselves out so you can market the property in the autumn.

lalalonglegs Wed 06-Apr-16 18:23:55

Yes, and call them rather than text and offer firstr refusal as suggested above.

daisiesinthespring Wed 06-Apr-16 18:36:42

Many thanks, will do so.

I am very flexible so am happy to go with whatever makes life easiest for them. In some ways it would be less awkward if I didn't know them - I feel it's something that should be dealt with formally but dealing with it formally also seems cold and remote somehow - aargh! Nightmare.

VinceNoirLovesHowardMoon Wed 06-Apr-16 18:41:36

Phone them asap. My landlord told me recently that he won't be renewing my tenancy in October and I'm very grateful he gave me so much warning.

daisiesinthespring Wed 06-Apr-16 19:02:15

Thanks, Vince, hope you're able to find somewhere else soon smile

VinceNoirLovesHowardMoon Wed 06-Apr-16 19:10:00

Thanks! I'm hoping to buy a flat but it will have to be about 1/3 the size of the house I'm in now!

sailawaywithme Wed 06-Apr-16 23:24:24

Just call...no need to drive over there.

daisiesinthespring Thu 07-Apr-16 09:20:25

Thanks.

My tentative plan at the moment is to give them official notice at the end of this month- that the house is going to go up for sale at the end of May.

Even if someone makes an offer straightaway (which I doubt) nothing will happen for at least six weeks so that gives them a minimum of two and a half months and probably longer.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 07-Apr-16 09:24:39

From what I've read on mn many tenants are difficult about allowing potential viewers around so just be prepared that you may have to wait to market it until they leave.

daisiesinthespring Thu 07-Apr-16 09:27:34

I don't think they will be to be honest. They have been charged well under market value for two years and they didn't pay a deposit or anything so they have had an easy time in some ways. If I could afford it they could stay there forever but unfortunately I need to sell so I can move on myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now