Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

please help .... vinyl floor

(9 Posts)
RTKangaMummy Wed 06-Apr-16 11:39:30

We have had our extension built and have screeding down which is now dry so we are ready to put the flooring down

The screeding layer is quite deep so has taken months to dry and is a bit crumbly around edges

The ensuite floor has been covered with ALTRO floor, it had a sort of self levelling layer of latex stuff (I think it was)

So now the rest of the rooms are ready to be done and most will be vinyl and some carpet

The problem is one flooring company said they would just put it down on top of the screeding, maybe using a layer first but probably not

The thing is we want the floor to be covered with something before the vinyl but don't have any experience of what

Does anybody have any experience of vinyl on top of screeding

Should it have an insulating layer? If so, what is it called please?

Not underfloor heating btw

LucyLocketLostHerPocket Wed 06-Apr-16 11:41:05

Our karndean is laid straight on top of screed layer. It's much warmer underfoot than our old ceramic tiles and doesn't make room cold or anything.

TremoloGreen Wed 06-Apr-16 11:44:35

Luxury vinyl tiles are typically laid on top of an underlay it looks like thin foil. A bit like this

You don't really need it under sheet vinyl. I guess it won;t do any harm, but the only issue would be how you are going to adhere the vinyl to the subfloor, as these underlays tend to be used with floating/click together systems. You would typically glue down in a very large room or tape/spray glue the edges in a smaller room.

RTKangaMummy Wed 06-Apr-16 11:51:30

Oke doke thank you

The room we are talking about is 4m x 3m and would deffo prefer sheet vinyl over tiles as I worry about them curling up at edges

So will also look at karndean too

Can't make your link work sorry

wowfudge Wed 06-Apr-16 12:03:59

Lvt doesn't curl up at the edges.

TremoloGreen Wed 06-Apr-16 12:07:55

Sorry I just confused matters by saying lvts are laid on top of these underlays. Click together, floating LVT e.g. Quickstep Livyn, are laid on top of underlay. Stick down LVT like Karndean, Polyflor are straight onto screeded floor.

LVT is not the same as those peel and stick tiles that curl up at the edges.

RTKangaMummy Wed 06-Apr-16 12:18:16

Oke doke thanks, I get what you mean now

What about sheet vinyl?

What happens with that?

BTW we have one Labrador and are training another GD puppy when the extension is finished and this room leads out to the garden so needs to be very very hard wearing and easy to keep clean,

Also another reason I want sheet vinyl sheets is because with 7/8 week old puppies there are little puddles and so don't want any chance of it going between the tiles whereas if it was one single sheet just wash and go iyswim

wowfudge Wed 06-Apr-16 12:24:30

Vinyl sheet - miles easier to catch and tear when moving furniture or vacuuming. If the fitters use adhesive round the edges, it can show through as discolouration over time.

TremoloGreen Wed 06-Apr-16 12:41:33

Well if you get sheet vinyl, I can definitely recommend Novilon - it's what the previous owners of this house put down when they built their extension in 1988 (I know because they had used the roll end with Novilon stamped on it in one of the outbuildings) and it still looks great.

When I say great, I mean there was hardly a mark on it, obviously it's got some hideous pattern and it's now covered in paint, waiting for the plumber to finish to I can replace with something shiny and new.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now