Advice about wall lights - probably a stupid question!

(3 Posts)
Slowlybutsurely Mon 04-Apr-16 21:26:24

Hi, I'm 15 days from completion (it's been a long, drawn out process so I am counting the days!). Starting to think about decorating etc. The house currently has wall lights that switch on/off with a little pull cord underneath them. We want to remove these and add some type of wall washer light. Presumably they will then all need to be put onto some sort of wall switch? There are 4 lights in total, two on one side, two on the other. Will this make a huge mess of the walls to make the switch. I take it I am best doing the lights first then decorating?
Sorry for the obvious questions...you wouldn't think I'd owned a house before!

Perseus Mon 04-Apr-16 21:31:42

Are you sure there isn't a single switch that controls them all?

They may be switchable with a pull chord but also centrally controlled by a single switch somewhere?

They will be on a lighting circuit that runs behind the plaster. You will need to find it and that might need chaneling part of the plaster out but not a huge mess. It will need a patch plaster job though to repair it.

I had a lot of this sort of thing done when we bought our house. The existing lights were dreadfully placed.

Slowlybutsurely Mon 04-Apr-16 21:35:09

ooh they might be. That gives me hope. I guess I will know more when we move in. I'm just being impatient. Yes all our light are in strange places. The main living room light is over by the side of the wall rather than the centre.

Thanks for your response.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now