Talk

Advanced search

Costs to extend??

(11 Posts)
TryingToJuggle Sun 03-Apr-16 19:56:11

We have seen a bungalow that we would like to buy BUT it is VERY old fashioned and quite small. There is room to extend by going out about 3m on one end and also to create a bedroom/bathroom in the loft. This would then involve two new bathroom suites and a new kitchen as well as new flooring, windows and probably electrics throughout.

I appreciate that 'how long is a piece of string' question but how much are we looking at in ball park figures???

peggyundercrackers Sun 03-Apr-16 20:21:51

I would work on a price of £1000 per square meter as a rough guide.

Mrsladybirdface Mon 04-Apr-16 15:32:08

We have a bungalow and have extended once and areally now currently extending again. We have chosen not to go into the loft though...all our quotes were for 40k for the loft. For our current extension and garage conversion we have been quoted between 20k and 50k

Mrsladybirdface Mon 04-Apr-16 15:32:51

Do you have a link or floor plan?

namechangedtoday15 Mon 04-Apr-16 16:21:17

We're about to start an extension - going out just slightly more than 3m but double storey. Worked on the basis of £1500/sq metre plus VAT for the basic build (to a plaster finish, windows, electrics, plumbing, fitting of bathrooms) and we've not been too far out. I think a single storey extension will be slightly more expensive per sq/m.

Bathroom suites, tiles & tiling, under floor heating, kitchen, flooring, lighting, decoration all on top.

TryingToJuggle Mon 04-Apr-16 16:44:38

Thanks everyone, really helpful. Here is the link on Rightmove. We would look at extending into the space on the left in the main picture ie out form the current lounge and re configuring some of the spaces in side: www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41056416.html

Ragusa Mon 04-Apr-16 17:03:58

Would you be allowed to extend in the New Forest or are there special restrictions?

Price pm2 can vary hugely depending on location, complexity, overall size of job, required finish. I think £1000 pm2 is too low for Southern England. An architect should be able to give you some ballpark figures.

TryingToJuggle Mon 04-Apr-16 17:17:10

Hi. According to the estate agent the house is classed as a 'large dwelling' for New Forest regulations which means we can extend it to probably what we want especially looking at other houses in the road. As its tucked away it also shouldn't affect any of the neighbours.

So if I go between 1-1.5k per sq metre and then add on finishes or does that factor in decorating and finishes etc???

lalalonglegs Mon 04-Apr-16 17:40:45

I'd check with the planning department before you put in an offer - the national parks have very tight regulations about what you can and can't do. It is also an expensive part of the country so I would guesstimate that the £1.5k/sq m would be for very basic/no finish and you would need to add in more for decoration, tiling etc. It's a very cute house though, it could look lovely.

didireallysaythat Mon 04-Apr-16 18:22:03

Definitely talk to the planning office. We looked at a tiny bungalow (2 beds, one reception, kitchen and shower room) the estate agent said could be extended. It could, by another 25% only as it was outside the village boundary. Making a tiny bungalow (on a one acre plot) into a small bungalow.

Mrsladybirdface Mon 04-Apr-16 19:45:25

Oh I love it! Ours is similar in size and condition pre extension. we've spent 20k on new bathroom, kitchen and electrics. Our large extension and landscaping garden is about 35k

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now