No radiator in bathroom - heated towel rail?

(4 Posts)
NadiaWadia Sun 03-Apr-16 15:26:14

I am posting on behalf of DD who has just moved into a new flat with her DP. Flat is lovely in general, new carpets throughout and new kitchen, but the only thing that lets it down a bit is the bathroom. It is fairly modern and perfectly adequate, but unusually there is no radiator in there (I think gas central heating was added at a later stage, flats were built in 1960s). There is not one in the hall outside the bathroom either. The combi boiler is in a cupboard inside the bathroom.

Obviously they can manage, and summer is coming up anyway, but in the winter I would imagine it would be a bit uncomfortable to have nowhere to dry your towels and it's nice to get a warm towel when you come out of the shower. I thought maybe as they intend to stay a while they could pay for an electric towel rail to be put in but we've looked it up and it seems that might cost several hundreds, which would be a bit daft for them to shell out so much on a place they don't own. They don't feel able to ask the landlord to pay, as many other improvements have only recently been put in.

Has anyone got any other suggestions? An'd is it safe to use a cupboard with combi boiler in it as an airing cupboard, or is it a fire hazard, as DD's DP thinks? (I'd like to know as I do this at home myself!)

fortifiedwithtea Sun 03-Apr-16 16:44:16

Yes a combi boiler in the cupboard is safe. We got rid of the tank and moved the boiler to the airing cupboard when we had a new boiler (about 3 or 4 years ago). That freed up space in our small kitchen As we knew we would miss having a warm airing cupboard we also put a small radiator in but its not the same

For the bathroom itself we have a towel rail heated off the central heating, it replaced the old radiator. For us its in a bad place but the bathroom is tiny so no other choice. The towel rail is right bedside the loo. It gets extremely hot when the heating is on and as I'm fat I'm in danger of burning my bum. I sit sideways on the loo to avoid this danger blush.

When I had my first flat (no gas, all electric) there was a small fan heater fixed very high on the wall of the bathroom. It blew the hot air downwards and was only on for short periods when I was actually in the bathroom. Would this be more economical to fix and run?

NadiaWadia Sun 03-Apr-16 17:04:55

Thanks for the suggestion, fortified. I will look into this.

JT05 Sun 03-Apr-16 17:55:10

In the past, you could buy light and heat fittings for bathrooms that fitted into the existing light. Don't know if they are allowed now, but might be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now