Double or single oven?

(22 Posts)
JustPretending Sat 02-Apr-16 12:28:14

We're approaching kitchen decision time on our extension and I'm mulling ovens. For those with doubles, why are they worth having? Currently have a single and we're a small family of 3 and never likely to be more than 4 altogether. We can survive with a single oven but wonder what I'm missing not having a double!

The kitchen space is limited. It's a C-shape (2 corners).

confusedandemployed Sat 02-Apr-16 12:30:42

I recently went from a double to a single. I don't miss it on a daily basis, but it was useful for Christmas dinner, party nibbles etc.

If you can fit it in and the cost difference isn't astronomical I'd go for a double.

SeaLionsOnMyShirt Sat 02-Apr-16 13:00:11

We went for two single ovens in our extension, one above the other instead of a double oven. It wasn't expensive, and it has been a godsend when I am cooking for extra people or doing Sunday roasts!

whiteagle Sat 02-Apr-16 13:02:39

I have a single oven and a microwave that is also a proper oven (Siemens). It looks just like the other oven. It has come in handy over the 6 months we've had it so far. If you sell, two ovens is a good thing to have. You might find you want to be a bit more sociable in the future grin too!

caroldecker Sat 02-Apr-16 13:09:42

Are double ovens smaller than 2 single?

wowfudge Sat 02-Apr-16 13:10:44

Double because you don't have the silly set up where the grill is in the oven so you have to use one or the other. I am so looking forward to have a double oven in our new house soon. If you do a lot of cooking it makes a difference.

namechangedtoday15 Sat 02-Apr-16 14:21:47

Have a double at the moment but am re-doing the kitchen and am having 2 single ovens (one above the other) so will effectively look like a double oven. Yes, a double usually have one "normal" sized oven and then a smaller oven / grill. 2 singles mean 2 "normal" sized ovens. I just want the flexibility as I quite often cook for say 8-10.

VeryPunny Sat 02-Apr-16 14:26:24

I have a double oven and it's fab. Enormous 70litre main oven plus smaller top oven. Both have grills. I use the little oven all the time for the children's tea/small portions etc and the large oven for everything else. I never understood why people have two singles both the same size - take up more space with no addd functionality.

You can easily fit a roast + trays of veg in the main oven alone but in reality the veg usually go in when the meat is resting, so there's bags of space with the top oven as well.

namechangedtoday15 Sat 02-Apr-16 14:38:17

Like I said, 2 singles are bigger than a double. That's why it works better, I need 2 large ovens when I cook for lots of people so yes, 2 singles do provide added functionality over a double.

Sidge Sat 02-Apr-16 14:44:18

When we redid our kitchen we went for a large oven with a combi oven/grill/microwave above. Perfect for us and we use them both often.

vienaa Sat 02-Apr-16 17:42:22

Same here, I find the double ovens quite small, we are going for 2 single ovens but going for side by side in tall units... We have a range at the moment and with one small door and a large door...

GiddyOnZackHunt Sat 02-Apr-16 22:36:14

We're going for a single oven + microwave, grill, oven combi oven above it to replace a old double and our 20 year old microwave.

ANiceSliceOfCake Sat 02-Apr-16 22:46:35

I hate the face we have a single oven. Drives me mad that I can't for example grill sausages and have chips in the oven at the same time!

MiaowTheCat Sun 03-Apr-16 08:17:52

The cost difference now is getting to be negligible so we went for a double oven. Be careful and read the specifications though as some have really small main oven capacities - ours is actually bigger in the main oven than my mum's single oven (it's a Hotpoint I think)

I find having one really handy.

BigGreenOlives Sun 03-Apr-16 08:20:46

ANice Why don't you just put the sausages in the oven with the chips? They take longer but they cook well.

wowfudge Sun 03-Apr-16 08:55:56

I agree with Olives - I have had to find ways of cooking certain meals differently. You do have to be careful not to dry some things out cooking them in the oven rather than grilling.

Palomb Sun 03-Apr-16 12:37:36

Two single ovens. I've got a double and the top oven is more of a gril than an oven and not really big enough.

I always oven cook my sausages.

ineedaholidaynow Sun 03-Apr-16 13:06:46

We have a Samsung single dual cook oven. The same external size of a single oven but has a very large internal oven capacity. You can then put a divider in to the oven which splits the oven into two and you can cook at 2 different temperatures. We usually keep the divider in when we are only cooking small amounts as it is more economical.

We also have a combination microwave.

Charlieandlola Sun 03-Apr-16 15:54:46

I replaced a double oven with two under counter single ovens - aeg , both 70 litre .
Sooo flexible

JustPretending Sun 03-Apr-16 20:43:02

Very interesting. I am off to research microwave / grill / combi oven thingys as in a small space, this might be a good solution. Definitely can't fit 2 singles.

CodyKing Sun 03-Apr-16 20:47:50

I loathed the single oven and it was the first thing I changed in our new house -

I need to grill and have the oven on - and I like that we can use the top as a oven for Sunday roasts -

We brought from Tesco direct

Whatthefoxgoingon Sun 03-Apr-16 22:12:16

I'd definitely go for a combi oven +/- single oven if you are short on space.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now