Talk

Advanced search

Pleasant, affordable place commutable to Uxbridge/M40

(8 Posts)
MESSING2 Thu 31-Mar-16 22:52:18

Can anyone recommend somewhere commutable (within 25 miles, say) of Uxbridge?

Looking along the M40, Beaconsfield is lovely but not affordable. High Wycombe is a possibility but I'm not sure what it's like nowadays (wasn't great when I grew up there in the 80s). I have discounted anything in London (Richmond, Twickenham etc) as being totally out of my price range.

Any advice welcome - I'm stumped at the moment.

TheBitterBoy Thu 31-Mar-16 23:05:46

Parts of Maidenhead are nice, but you'd be looking at M4 traffic instead. Only 18 miles or so though.

TheBitterBoy Thu 31-Mar-16 23:08:09

What's your price range? Are places like Ickenham / Pinner / Stanmore / nicer bits of Harrow out of the question?

MESSING2 Fri 01-Apr-16 09:32:40

Thanks, TheBitterBoy. I discounted Maidenhead because the commute would likely include M4 and be horrendous. Maidenhead prices are doable though, so somewhere with prices in that region.

Hobbes8 Fri 01-Apr-16 09:56:43

If you can afford Maidenhead, then Northwood, Pinner, Ruislip or Eastcote are nice. Particularly North Ruislip near the woods and the lido.

FinallyHere Fri 01-Apr-16 10:04:01

How about George Green, on the way to Langley?

HopIt Fri 01-Apr-16 11:32:46

I have to go to Uxbridge quite often for work, honestly the last mile is the killer, it takes longer to do than the 40 miles I've just done. So if your budget allows i would look as close as you can, Chalfont if affordable, Rickmansworth, Maple cross, Harefield, Iver, Langley, George Green, Chesham, Amersham.
But do bare in mind because of cross rail these places have shot up, stuff moves fast and stock is limited, expect to offer over the asking. Rental is rare
Also if buying check what is happening with HS2 as it is ripping that section apart.

Personally i would look down the A413 as well as the M40, quite often the M40 has problems so the back up of the A413 gives you the option.

MESSING2 Sat 02-Apr-16 23:06:13

Food for thought - thanks all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now